Philippe Wittenbergh wrote:
On Nov 8, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:

It seems that zoom does something in IE7- which I do not understand. Can anyone
explain? This would mean using something like this.

li {display: -moz-inline-block; display: inline-block; width:100px;}
*+html li {display: inline; zoom: 1;} /* IE7 */
* html li {display: inline; zoom: 1;} /* IE6 */

zoom triggers haslayout; without it, you inline element wouldn't take a 'width'
(width would only trigger haslayout, but would otherwise be ignored, that is
the inline element would remain at its intrinsic width - I know this sounds
crazy, we're talking IE here).

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/

Very interesting. While researching I stumbled onto one of Bruno's test pages regarding inline-block and hasLayout.

<http://www.brunildo.org/test/InlineBlockLayout.html>

Lower down staring me in the face was another solution that has been called the "trip switch hasLayout trigger".

li { display: inline-block; width:100px;}
*+html li { display: inline;} /* IE7 */
* html li { display: inline;} /* IE6 */

--
Alan http://css-class.com/