I would like to hear your suggestions & comments on the following way
of styling forms.

My aim was to keep all elements in a row aligned to the text baseline
and to create a vertical grid by controlling the row height. (The
light blue line shows the alignment to the text baseline.)

My test case shows one row with two labeled form fields (tested in FF and IE8):

http://jsfiddle.net/cizmazia/KMVmw/77/

vertical-align: baseline - (default) aligns all elements vertically
according to the text baseline

border: 1px - triggers different rendering of the input & select
elements when they have the same implicit height

box-sizing: border-box; - allows to set the same width of the input &
select elements

As the input & select elements are rendered differently, I have not
found a consistent way how to set the same explicit height of the
input & select elements while keeping them aligned to the text
baseline. Therefore I wrap them and set a sufficiently big height to
the wrappers.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions & comments.
Michal Cizmazia