On 11/26/10 3:18 AM, Bobby Jack wrote:
Hi all,

I have a series of elements (marked up as a UL) that I'd like to
display in rows. Each LI has the same width, but a variable height.
I'd like a solution for the case in which there are a fixed number
of 'columns', and when the number of columns is variable; for the
latter, each LI is a fixed width, but the UL's width is variable.

[...]

Inline-blocks are almost perfect for this scenario (even IE issues
can be hacked around) but whitespace then becomes an issue: such
space between elements has an effect on the layout.

Is there either a solution to the inline-block/whitespace problem,
or another approach that will achieve the same layout? Example here:

http://www.fiveminuteargument.com/layout-testing.html

Note that, in this example, I've removed whitespace around elements
in the inline-block example in order to demonstrate the desired
layout. But I'd like a solution that doesn't require that.

I don't have a CSS solution, and will likely have my head chopped off
for suggesting this-- but I would note that removing all the closing
</li> tags gives the same result, and validates... :)

Cordially,
David