On Dec 29, 2010, at 3:44 PM, Alan Gresley wrote:

> Working correctly in IE9. Just thinking though, what happens when Gecko
> supports the slash "/" syntax?

When Gecko, or WebKit for the matter, start supported the full CSS 3 background
shorthand, it will use it and my ugly little hack won't be needed. I probably
should reorder the whole stylesheet in that test file a little to make it more
future proof. Leveraging the cascade etc.

>  You could perhaps add another dangerous hack. Both lines have a red
> background in IE9 and IE8 which is correct.
>
> <http://css-class.com/test/css-testsuite/css2.1/declaration-string-character-exscapes-000.htm>
>
> While testing to see what was bugging out Gecko, I noted that Safari 5 would
> allow the svg to be inserted in via content {..}

Yes WebKit supports SVG anywhere where you can use 'image': foreground image,
background image, border-image, list-style image, etc, etc. I think Gecko does
the same now, although I haven't tested yet. And I suspect Opera also supports
SVG anywhere.

> BTW - Opera 11 does weird things with that CSS3 background shorthand.
>> It doesn't understand it as a whole, but apparently it parses enough
>> of it to reset my background-origin declaration… That feels pretty
>> wrong.
>

> What part does Opera 11 attempt to parse?
I don't exactly understand what Opera 11 is trying to do. I noticed that it
didn't use the background-origin: content-box; anymore after inserting the
background shorthand in the stylesheet. I didn't expect that parse error. I
would expect it to ignore the whole declaration completely.
( given that I don't mention the background-origin in that shorthand, it is
reset to the initial value, which is the expected behaviour)

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/