Hi Philip,

> > Imho, using element#id to increase the weight of a rule makes sense,
> but not
> > when it is used as a hint to help us read and understand rules. I'd
> think
> > /*comments*/ are better suited for that.
>
> I'm afraid I can't agree with that, Thierry : comments indicate
> only the coder's intentions; code indicates exactly what he
> (or she) has actually written.  Well-written code rarely
> needs comments; poor code needs an overabundance of them.

Well-written css code means *lean* selectors so a well written styles sheet
should need more comments than a badly written one, isn't?.

These are the two examples posted in this thread:

/* shows best coding practice, but could be hard to find without a comment
*/

#donations {font-size:1.24em;}

/* bad coding practice, but so verbose that it should be easy to find
without a comment */

#mainmenu ul li#last #donations {font-size:1.24em;}

As a side note, such comment has nothing to do with the coder's intention.

--
Regards,
Thierry