My stylesheets are quite a mess by the time we go live.

I do clean them up, remove commented out items that were only for my
eyes or internal developer's eyes,  make sure they are grouped and
global stuff on top.  I like each style on one line.

There are optimization checkers and I have used those but do it judicially.
http://designshack.co.uk/articles/css/18-css-compression-tools-and-techniques

One of the sites we did (and we produce the site not design) came to
us with the stylesheet compressed to one line and had to  uncompress
it to work on it.  What a pain as I had to  uncompress and recompress
each time we updated the site after it went live.

Nancy Johnson