On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 8:16 PM, John D <xfs...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> OK ignore it because I managed to get the actual link of the picture:
> <http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01295/silh-120_1295997a.jpg>
> I would still like to learn how they have protected the picture.

It's a simple javascript routine.
To get around it all you need to do is disable javascript.

There are other methods that try to make it more difficult to grab an
image. Things like using css background property, cutting the image
into dozens of pieces, etc.

But, really, all one needs to do is use print screen and photoshop to
grab any image that is viewable in a webpage.

The one thing that they have accomplished in the little javascript
ruse is to demonstrate a definite wish to keep the content protected.
Might be of some help in a law suit one can suppose.

But, all in all, it is very difficult to protect images.

Then again there was one server that looked for a valid referer before
allowing an image to be downloaded. If the request was not part of
their webpage filling in its own content an empty gif was returned.
This worked great to prevent deep linking to their content. But, in
order to grab the image all that was necessary was to pull it from my
cache.

Regards,
Claude