On Jul 12, 2011, at 6:26 AM, Tim Climis wrote:

> I have a z-index issue (this is for a site in development, so I've only
> tested
> in Chrome -- I'm guessing it's the same everywhere, and that the problem is
> me).

It is not specific to Chrome / WebKit.

> As you can see, the green #header has a z-index of 2, while the ol containing
> the Items has a z-index of 0.
>
> I think that the Items should be beneath both the category text, and the
> green
> block (ie not currently visible).  however, they are, in fact on top of
> everything.
>
> Why?  And how do I fix it?

Those list items are part of the stacking context generated for and by #header.
Then given that the parent ol doesn't have any stacking level on its own, the
'Items' are painted on top of  'Category'.

To put them behind 'category', give them a negative z-index (-1). If you want
them behind the green box, omit the z-index on the green box.

Philippe
--
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/