On 29/07/2011 6:36 PM, Mark Henderson wrote:
Philippe wrote:
In a decent browser, it won't select anything and nothing though...
That hack relies on the fact that the simple little mind of IE 6&    7
‘thinks’ there is an element that wraps around the root element
(html). Of course there is none.

And Alan responded:
This is not correct. For IE6 and earlier, there is an element outside
[..]
This means that IE6- sees this.

<root-container>
</root-container>

Perhaps this comes down to interpretation. Putting things in a
different light, let's assume that Philippe was talking with regards
to the specifications (that's how I took it) and they say that html
_IS_ the root.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML_element#Document_structure_elements

So it doesn't matter that the IE developers forgot they had
implemented some hidden node outside of<html>, to my mind what
Philippe said /was/ still correct.

Just an opinion.

I should have said that it is not completely correct about there being no node wrapping around <html> in IE6-. The rest of what Philippe said is correct.

--
Alan Gresley
http://css-3d.org/