Hi,

I'll start by saying I don't yet have a site to post the html / css on
to illustrate this, but I'm hoping it's a straightforward situation
that doesn't require such.

I have a container div and inside that I have 'rows' of fixed-size
divs inside that container that are floated left.  In order to get
vertical alignment on the fixed-size divs inside the container div I
am currently putting a negative top-margin on them.  The left-most has
0em, next to the right has -1em, next to the right has -2em, etc..

I would like to have a container div that allows the number of
fixed-size divs on each 'row' inside it grow or shrink based on
available space.  The need to put these negative margins on the inside
fixed-size divs seems to preclude that.  Is this just the nature of
floats?  If not, any words of wisdom or links to same would be much
appreciated.

TIA,
Bill