On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Tim Dawson <t...@ramasaig.com> wrote:
> I'm having my first crack at an HTML5 site using some of the new elements.
> It's all at an early stage, but I'm trying to iron out a few problems with
> the menu.
>
> http://www.mull-bed-and-breakfast.co.uk/temp/
>
> My client wants a horizontal menu centred on the page, holding (at the
> moment) seven list items. I'm trying to use 'margin: 0 auto;' on the NAV
> element to do this, but struggling because the width of this element may
> vary according to the number of list items (and the length of their text,
> padding, etc.).
>
> I'm also trying to use max- and min-width to ensure that the list items
> display on two lines, but this seems to cause trouble with the padding being
> ignored (see the 'Special Occasions' item).
>
> I see no reason why the NAV element should behave any differently from a
> DIV, and perhaps it doesn't, but you'll see it's not quite centred. I've
> floated the List Items so they all close up nicely in a horizontal line, and
> floated the UL so that it expands to contain all the List Items.
>
> I have a feeling I'm not seeing the wood for the trees, and if anyone can
> point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tim Dawson
>
> --
> Tim Dawson
> Maolbhuidhe
> Fionnphort
> Isle of Mull  PA66 6BP
>
> 01681 700718

I feel like the nav element is centered on the page, but what's
centering the UL? I don't see what's holding the ul in the position
it's in...

I may just be wandering in the same woods...

--

Tom Livingston | Senior Interactive Developer | Media Logic |
ph: 518.456.3015x231 | fx: 518.456.4279 | mlinc.com