On Mar 29, 2012, at 4:06 AM, Angela French wrote:

> I am having trouble with IE8 in compatibility mode (IE7) - the list bullets
> won't show.  I've played around with margins, padding, list-position, etc.
> In addition, in order not to have the heading which follows the list to
> appear in the position of the last list item in the right column, I put in
> IE8, but nowhere else.  I don't really want to put that margin-top on the
> heading as that heading could change in the future.  Grateful for any ideas.
> (the html does validate)
>
> This is my test page:
> http://sbctc.edu/college/_e-wkforceworkfirsttrainingresourcesNEW.aspx .  It
> is the 2-column list I am referring to.
>
> Here is the css:
>
> ul.two_column_list
> {width:520px;
>
> }

1/ the list bullets not showing up in IE7 (or IE 8 compat): you specify a width
on the ul (see quoted part above) and the li. That triggers 'haslayout'

http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html

Maybe use a background image on the li ?

2/ margin-top on <div style="clear:both;margin-top:30px;"></div>. It is normal
that the margin isn't visible. The preceding list is _much_ taller than 30px.
IE < 8 is wrong as usual. Try with padding-top instead.

--
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com