Here's my suggestions:

<http://jsfiddle.net/xQPbE/>

A few notes:

background: url("Reference URL/correct.png") no-repeat scroll 0 35px
transparent;

I'd suggest ditching the quotes... You don't need "scroll" and
"transparent" (unless you want the background color to be reset back
to its default value).

I'm not sure what you want to do with the "35px". I opted to use "left
center", but feel free to change to whatever meets your needs... "0 0"
is default, so if that's what you want, you can omit positioning.

Also, based on your HTML, this would be the correct syntax for your
first CSS example:

.box.response.correct {}

... i.e. their chained; otherwise, your HTML would have to look like this:

Also, chaining of classes does not work in IE6 (see CSS comments in my
example for more info).

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Micky