Greetings,

I am in the process of retrofitting an old site to be responsive, and
have thus added a css file with media queries.
I have four different media queries in the file:

@media screen and (max-width: 960px) {}
@media screen and (max-width: 750px) {}
@media screen and (max-width: 600px) {}
@media screen and (max-width: 400px) {}

In firefox, all four are interpreted as intended. In safari, opera and
chrome, they are unfortunately not, and neither on the android phone
browser.

On the page:
http://ursuladevelop.operartists.com/contact

The left sidebar:
#main .region-sidebar-first

is displayed even with a narrow screen, only the first case
(max-width: 960px) is recognized and the page rendered accordingly.
For a narrow screen width, the css statement display:none is supposed
to be executed.

I am obviously not understanding something. Could somebody give me a pointer?

This is a retrofit, and I don't want to go through the trouble of
rebuilding the theme properly (media first, etc).

All help is appreciated! Ursula
(and I know that the menu is not quite right either, work in progress ...)