> I am trying to achieve, in CSS and
> HTML, a menu structure like the one pictured here:
> http://coffeeonmars.com/testing/menu.png
>
> I have been attempting with definition lists, and I can get
> the first line just fine, but subsequent lines do not line
> up properly. I realize that I'm not using tabs as you'd find
> in word or indesign, and I tried to make variants of my dd
> tags, but things got pretty snarly, pretty fast.
>
> It seems obvious that *where* a bit of dd lands depends on
> how wide it is. "Americano" is less wide than "Brewed
> Coffee" and 8oz is narrower than $1.15, so I am stuck with
> that reality.
>
> is definition list the way to go with this? do I need to
> consider dropping down a line for various sizes, such as:
>
> Brewed Coffee
> 8 oz $1.15
> 12oz $1.35
> 16oz $1.55

In certain situation you have to use Tables and the food menus you have
produced is the ideal candidate for this.  Consider using a table to do exactly
what you want to do.  CSS can be applied to tables so first create a table
structure and then post back to get further help in using the CSS.

Good luck.