For what it's worth, I noticed this behaviour in Opera at least 2 years
ago. It strikes me as definitely wrong, and a bug according to the spec
(depends on how much implication you want to read into it — Opera have
arguably excelled in pursuing an aggressively imaginative approach to
implementing vague spec, and arguably standards have profited from it, in
that weak points come to the fore).

I'd say go for it — and a link back would be good so we can put our efforts
towards corroboration.

By the by, in terms of zealous generated content as a philosophy, the
type=date inputs are another great example of Opera bringing huge
unasked-for gifts to the table.

--
Regards,
Barney Carroll