2013-02-28 18:26, Chip at Caliber Communications wrote:

  http://shootata2-com.cccg-inc.com/AboutUs/ATABylaws,Rulebook,Forms.aspx

I would like to use a 2-column layout in this dl, but need the individual
dt/dd groups to wrap as a unit (all or nothing). I am using some column
classes, but is there a better way to do this? For semantic accuracy, I
would like to avoid tables, but I'll do that if there's not a reasonable
other way to do it.

If the content is not changed frequently (say, not more than once a month), the practical solution is probably to divide the content into two blocks statically and place them side by side using some technique (table, positioning, floating, whatever).

Regarding semantic accuracy, <dl> markup does not say anything more about the content than <table> markup does. I’m saying this just because people so often avoid the simplest and most robust approach on highly theoretical grounds, based on wrong theories.

But if you really want to use dynamic division into columns, with the CSS columns properties, accepting the implications on limited browser support, then the following rules would keep each consecutive dt, dt pair as a unit, per CSS3 drafts:

dt { break-after: avoid; }
dd { break-before: avoid; }
dt, dd { break-inside: avoid; }

Browser support is still limited (currently to IE 10 and Opera 11+), see
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/CSS/break-before

Yucca