2013-04-01 21:27, Angela French wrote:

I can't get <area hidefocus="true" ......> to work and it certainly
won't validate.  Is there a way to style the outline property applied
to the <area> tag?  I thought maybe I could make it very light gray
dotted, but that didn't have any effect in any browser. Am I using
the correct syntax?

area:focus, area:active {

outline:none; border:0; outline:#dbdadc dotted 1px; }

(That was sent to me only, but I suppose it was meant to go to the list. And anyway, I think this belongs to the list, since my previous answer seems to have been wrong. I was too sure about it, from memory and from Microsoft docs, so I didn't test it on IE 10. Sorry.)

It seems that IE 10 has dropped support to the proprietary hidefocus attribute, in all modes. Strange.

Even more strange, although the CSS code above (which is correct syntax) does not work on IE 10, and although the simple

area { outline: none; }

does not work on it either, the CSS rule

* { outline: none; }

seems to work. I cannot imagine why.

(Removing the outline can be a usability and accessibility problem rather than a solution to anything, but I suppose there are special situations where it can be useful. Anyway, the technical issue is mysterious. Using area { outline: none; }, Developer Tools in IE 10 show outline-style: none as being applied to the area element, but still the dotted outline appears. Perhaps IE 10 draws the outline around some mystical pseudoelement?)

Yucca