On 2013-04-19 09:10 (GMT+0100) Philip TAYLOR composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

Keep in mind that the browser default size is akin to having zoomed in
advance to the preferred or optimum personalized base text size.

I find in practice that it is not. For this reason I have had to
reduce my default font size from 20px to 16px and use per-site
zoom-memory instead.  Sites that work fine with "real" zoom
often break with default font size > 16px.

Zoom memory is yet another evolution of defending against disrespect, with its own set of drawbacks, not the least of which is what happens on sites that style differently for different content types or sections or query results.

Break is what happens on sites that don't design for the web or users, but instead for themselves, using px to define arbitrary container sizes instead of em or rem to make proportions hold across a wide range of default size settings.

With the relatively nominal difference between 16 and 20 maybe you find it acceptable to have a sub-optimal setting for un-styled text and previously unvisited sites. You think the same would be similarly appropriate for someone who prefers or requires a 24px default? 28px? 32px? More?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/