> With one stylesheet, Image sprite 2 is being called on page A B and C
> even though the image is only displayed  on page C

Aren't browsers smart enough to not load an image if it's not being used?
>From my quick examination, I have a style sheet that references minus.gif.  On
a page where minus.gif does not appear, it's not showing up in the page
resources.  So I don't think an image is actually loaded by the browser just
because it's referenced in a style sheet.  I think there actaully needs to be
an element it applies to first.

So if the goal is to limit page load time, this is a non-issue.

---Tim