Worked fine on 30, then I updated to 31 and it broke.

I strongly suspect this is down to Webkit's increasing over-eager
aggressive layout pre-caching, whereby it makes assumptions about things it
doesn't have to fully render. I also strongly suspect you could fix this by
applying an animation on a zero-visual-effect property, as described here
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15152470/chrome-rendering-issue-fixed-position-anchor-with-ul-in-body/15203880#15203880

Regarding your awesome technique, have you considered hiding the contents
with max-height: 0 and revealing with max-height: 999em (or something
equally large), then using transitions on that property? Chuck opacity in
and you've basically retired jQuery ;)

Regards,
Barney Carroll

barney.carr...@gmail.com