> I think you will have more success using Bootstrap's .nav markup, styled
> with
> .nav-pills and .nav-stacked. The current markup will need some difficult
> CSS to
> resolve, methinks.
>
> (This just from a cursory look at Bootstrap - you may find something
> better.)

The current markup won't need difficult CSS, but it would need more
specificity
than I would personally prefer.  100% agree that if bootstrap has something
built
in for this, you should go that route.

Dunno about "working beautifully" as I can't even focus them with my
> keyboard,
> let alone having any ARIA to assist screen-readers. Hopefully they do
> better on
> touch screens.
>
> What do you have against select boxes - which would be easier to process
> server-side, I would think?

 100% agree with this sentiment as well.  Granted <option>'s aren't as
customizable
as what Michael has going here, the benefit to ease of digestion (assuming
server side code
is the first to get it) and accessibility is a discussion worth having with
the client, IMO.