> The alternative to font inflation is substantially worse.
>
> Mobile browsers give you a viewport in which you can pan and zoom
> around a desktop-size viewport of the page.  This feature exists for
> compatibility, to allow mobile Web browsers to view Web pages
> designed before good mobile Web browsers existed, or designed
> without considering them.  If you've considered mobile in your
> design, you can use a <meta viewport> in your page to opt out of
> parts or all of this behavior.
>
> Some Web pages contain text that the user wants to read, and to do
> this, and in cases where these dual viewports exist, the user needs
> to zoom in to make the text a decent size.  If, at that zoom level
> where the font is readably large, the user needs to scroll side to
> side to reach *each line* of the text, because the width of the
> block is wider than the device.  This is a horrible experience.
>
> Font inflation exists to solve only this problem, which is a problem
> that fundamentally would make mobile Web browsers unusable.  It
> doesn't happen if pages declare a <meta viewport> that means there's
> no viewport scaling involved, and it doesn't happen if all their
> blocks are narrow enough to be readable without side-to-side
> scrolling for each line.
>
> -David
>
> --
> 𝄞   L. David Baron                         http://dbaron.org

I'd go along with this except...

You say "Font inflation exists to solve only this problem, which is a
problem that fundamentally would make mobile Web browsers unusable.
It doesn't happen if pages declare a <meta viewport>".

The OP's page here: http://81.4.104.136/fonts.html doesn't inflate the
fonts for me on my iPhone. It miniaturizes them. Severely. This page
doesn't have the viewport meta tag in the head. Without the meta tag,
I will need to pinch and zoom, but the sizes are ridiculously small.
I'm gonna guess that because there is no layout, the width of the page
is very large so it is zoomed OUT a great deal. Right? Am I missing
something?

--

Tom Livingston | Senior Front-End Developer | Media Logic |
ph: 518.456.3015x231 | fx: 518.456.4279 | mlinc.com