http://www.coffeeonmars.com/170_su/client/portfolio/

At this link, I have 3 thumbnails which display horizontally and are evenly
distributed, and respect the 1.25em right and left padding of their parent.

Using good ol’ pen and paper, I calced the total width of the elements, the
padding of the parent, got my leftover space, and calculated that as a
percentage of the parent, so my margin-right would be that % value.

It didn’t work! I fiddled with fewer digits after the decimal, then began
incrementing down, and it never did act right. But when I put in the “hard”
value in ems, it worked!

Why so? Why would % not work?

the selector for the first two thumbnails is below…commented out the initial
percent value. Thank you!

.thumb-one-two{
        float:left;
        width:270px;
        /* margin-right:47.87234%; */
        margin-right:2.8125em;
}

thumb-three just has to have the correct width and float left:

#thumb-three{
        float:left;
        width:270px;