Thanks for replying Chris. My answers are below:

On 9 Oct 2014, at 18:59, Chris Rockwell <ch...@chrisrockwell.com> wrote:

> >> (Does anyone have the faintest idea what I'm talking about? ;-)
> I'm not sure I follow, actually. Are you only talking about the 3rd column,
> #external?  What do you expect to happen when the width of the container
> forces the li to break to another line?

Yes, I was mostly talking about the 3rd column.

What I was hoping for was that the width of the li would be just wide enough to
accommodate the wrapped line and no longer, and that as the parent container
has justify-content: flex-end, that everything would scoot over to the right so
that final word of the line before the wrap would still be flush against the
right edge of the footer.

It looks to me that the width of the li is determined by the point at which the
line wrap is forced, as opposed to the wrapped content.

I understand what the designer is hoping for: that, whether there is
word-wrapping or not, in the third column the last character of the longest
line should be flush against the right edge. Maybe it is not possible.

> >> Lastly, does anyone know a really good explanation of the properties
> >> flex-grow and flex-shrink?
> Have you seen http://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/a-guide-to-flexbox/?

Yes, I have, thanks. It's pretty good, but I still don't feel I have a full
grasp of how flex-grow and flex-shrink (especially the latter) work.