Perhaps.  But browsers are not the only place where your text is
interpreted.  Witness the fact that in my mail program all I'm seeing for
his "preferred" characters are (as you also note) superscript characters.
This is presumably because his email is being converted to ASCII
characters (it's a non-html email) which is then being attempted to be
displayed in a font (in my case Consolas) that doesn't represent these
glyphs properly.

My larger point was, tread carefully here.  Test a lot.  Unexpected
results (as Jeff sees in his simple email to this list) are likely.