What do you mean EM are compound ?

If the browser is set to 16px and the parent is 2.1em and the child is set to 1.4em that would be 47.xx vw ?

Tom Livingston <mailto:tom...@gmail.com>
Thursday, March 23, 2017 11:39 AMvia Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach>
Once again, they are unrelated in the way you are showing here.

vw/vh units are related to the VIEWPORT dimensions. 1vm = 1% of the viewport width, *whatever* it may be.

2.2em is a unit relative to a users browser preference setting AND/OR the size set on a parent element. If browser preference is set at 16px then 1em = 16px. EMs compound, so they can be tricky. So browser is set to 16px, parent set to 2em, then child set to 2em will be equivalent to 64px (16 x 2 x 2).

REMs, on the other hand, are relative to the root element (HTML) which is the browser preference setting. So if the browser preference is 16px and you set an element to 1rem, NO MATTER WHERE IN THE DOM IT IS, it will be equivalent to 16px;

--

Tom Livingston | Senior Front End Developer | Media Logic |
ph: 518.456.3015x231 | fx: 518.456.4279 | medialogic.com <http://medialogic.com>

#663399
Crest Christopher <mailto:crestchristop...@gmail.com>
Thursday, March 23, 2017 10:14 AMvia Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach> Speaking of which, can someone once again clarify, for example; 2.2em would equal 4.4vw ?

Tom Livingston <mailto:tom...@gmail.com>
Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:48 AMvia Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach>
Sorry, that's just the typical way I hear of these types of things.
Newsletters or this list mainly.

Philip Taylor <mailto:p.tay...@rhul.ac.uk>
Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:23 AMvia Postbox <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach> Thank you Tom. I suppose what I had in mind was a W3C-hosted list, but if there is no such thing then pointers to derivative lists such as these would be a good fallback.
Philip Taylor
I subscribe to newsletters such as Frontend Focus, Alistapart (digest),
Versioning (less focused, but good), Responsive Design Weekly, CSS-tricks
and a couple others I can't think of right now. If I dig them up I will
reply again.