Yo Lars!

On Mon, 27 May 2013 10:13:00 +0200
Lars Ellenberg <lars.ellenb...@linbit.com> wrote:

> > No clue, if it does not have Chuck Handshy's patch we have issues
> > with 1.34, otherwise my results have been good.
>
> The timeout parameter is "better" than that patch in that the patch
> hardcodes the timeout, but the parameter makes it configurable.

Configurable prolly better since I've had to play with the timeout.

> The patch has one "advantage" still, it retries every 250ms,
> where the current source code still tries only once per second.
> If you say that makes sense, we can easily add yet an other config
> parameter for that, or just hardcode it to 250ms as well.

I found that helped too.  More 4x more chances to catch the lock open in
a given time frame.

> I've never run into this problem myself, but then we usually don't use
> it in a way that operates on millions of files at once...

Not so much the number of files as the number of clients.  I have one
master and 20 slaves.  Sometimes if a big change set happens the
cronjob will start a new pass before the last one finished so I can
get several connection to each slave, all contending for the one lock.

That said, I have seen the lock problem with just one 'csync -cBr /'
and one 'csync2 -uBr -P [host] /'.

RGDS
GARY