On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 08:00:18AM +0100, Michael Savage wrote:
> Hey list,
>
> I want to set up syncing my home directory between my laptop (i386 Atom)
> and PC (amd64 i7) which includes source trees and compiled binaries.
> Syncing the binaries machines will get annoying very quickly when it
> breaks my binaries, so I was wondering if it was possible to exclude
> them when syncing?
>
> The solution I was given when I was using unison was "write a script to
> make a list of files to ignore every time you run it" but that's awful
> and it'd be nice if there was a better way of doing it.

Csync2 only knows about subtrees and patterns.
If you cannot express it in those terms,
then you could implement "mime type detection" for csync2.
I don't know if I'd like that.

Maybe you need to go about it differently.
Most source trees/make systems allow for "output" directories,
so you would have your binaries cleanly separated from the sources,
and could easily exclude them.

--
: Lars Ellenberg