(Please excuse duplication. This is from PUBLIB. Follow-up messages were
posted from other libraries with similar unpleasant experiences. If you get
a call from this lady, or this organization, please say "no". Thanks. -L.)


Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 16:17:46 -0800 (PST)
From: Don Litzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: publib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: possible reference scam: IBD/Natl BtoB Infobase

At 9:10 A.M. on Monday, November 26, 2001, a woman named Pevi called from
�National Business to Business Infobase� who, after a mea culpa for a 
backlog of orders for their CD-ROM database, proceeded to ask me to verify
our library's address (as if she didn't have it?), so she could send us one
of their CD-ROMs as per their "subscription" with us.

I refused to give Pevi our address.  I told her we have no "subscription" 
with them, that we would not authorize anything over the phone, and that I 
suspected their business to be connected with a business with which we have
repeatedly attempted to disassociate ourselves in the past.

Pevi said this was her firm's first contact with us (gee, so how could they 
have a "subscription" on file?), that their firm was headquartered in 
Pennsylvania�and that she understood our requirement that phone 
solicitation is not permitted--though she did not say how this would be 
addressed.

I would appreciate the experience of others with this firm or the firm with 
which I suspect it is somehow connected, IBD or International Business 
Directories, headquartered in Miami, FL (www.mmibd.com).  I have filed, on 
behalf of our library, consumer complaints to the Better Business Bureau 
and with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services over 
the practices of IBD, which include underwhelming reference products 
(namely an "AT & T Toll Free and Internet Directory" in print and CD-ROM 
formats) sold at inflated prices with minimal customer service through 
deceptive telemarketing practices.

While the responses of the Miami BBB and the Florida consumer agency have
been, not unexpectedly, tepid, I feel maintaining consumer vigilance is 
worthwhile, as we still have a professional duty to put others on notice of 
this company's behavior as consumers and as purveyors of information to the
public.

A readily identifiable characteristic of this firm, in my experience, has 
been (with sincere apologies in advance for any overgeneralization or 
mischaracterization about persons of South Asian or other foreign descent) 
people with heavy accents (with unusual names such as Vishal, Remy, Binky
and Revi--perhaps Indian in origin?) that act as a distraction to a 
customer as the sales pitch is deployed.  Employees of these firms have 
hung up on me when I've asked for supervisors, among other annoying 
customer service-related behaviors.

Perhaps I will be proven wrong by listers who have had wonderful service 
experiences with International Business Directories or National Business to 
Business Infobase...but maybe not...and maybe sharing your experience will 
save a chunk of someone else's budget and professional integrity.  If this 
firm is a persistent problem in the library community, perhaps someone with 
a connection to American Libraries could shed their bright light on them so 
they are prompted to perform to an acceptable level for its library 
customers.  Thanks!

Don Litzer
Head of Adult Services
McMillan Memorial Library
490 E. Grand Avenue
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494
(715) 423-1040

Laurie Mahaffey, Adult Services Consultant
Central Texas Library System
P. O. Box 2287
Austin TX 78768-2287
512-974-7517 (please note new exchange!)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]



---------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, send to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Include in body: unsubscribe ctls-l

For information on CTLS-L please visit:
http://www.ctls.net/document/ctls-l.htm

Reply via email to