-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/
<A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin Grabbe</A>
-----
Russian Follies

Kremlin Aide Warns of "Social Explosion"

But Communists say get those IMF shackles off Russia

MOSCOW, Dec. 04, 1998 -- (Reuters) A top Kremlin aide said on Friday
that Russia needs more international credits so it can focus its
resources on preventing social unrest.
"It is completely clear that the amounts Russia is supposed to pay off
in 1999 are much higher than the government's ability," the president's
deputy chief of staff Oleg Sysuyev said in an interview.

"Therefore we must think of new credits to fulfill our government's
major obligation, that of covering its social expenses to bar a social
explosion."

The International Monetary Fund's Managing Director Michel Camdessus
visited Moscow this week and said the IMF could come to prompt
agreements in many areas with Prime Minister Yevgeny Primakov's
government, but he made no firm commitment to future lending.

The Russian government said it would draft a medium-term economic
program by January and discuss it then with another IMF mission,

Asked if Russia's message was 'give us money or expect a social
explosion', Sysuyev said: "We are already used to hearing terrible
stories....We are saying a stable, developing Russia with a normal
economy is in the interest of all countries."

The IMF has held off giving billions of dollars more in previously
promised loans because of lingering concerns about the reform cabinet's
economic plans and, more fundamentally, on fears it might abandon market
reforms.

A prominent member of the opposition Communist Party on Thursday hit
back at the IMF, which is deeply mistrusted by Communists and
nationalists. He said Russia should break with the Fund.

"I would settle accounts with the IMF and say 'Thank you'," said Gennady
Seleznyov, speaker of the Duma, the lower house of parliament. "We have
to get these shackles off Russia's legs."

Sysuyev said the Kremlin still felt more credits were needed to help
Russia during a time of economic instability.

"Even if we now decided to get on without the help of international
financial institutions -- and this is hardly possible -- we would still
have to think as orderly people that we owe these institutions
significant sums and we must pay these amounts," he said.

"The integration of all countries on our planet is such that it is
unlikely that we can decline further cooperation with these financial
institutions in the future, even if the situation in our country is
positive," he continued.

Reuters, Dec. 4, 1998

Impeachment Watch

The Impeach Clinton Drumbeat Grows Louder

President's lawyers get 30 hours for defense

WASHINGTON - Republicans and Democrats said Sunday that the full House
of Representatives was very likely to vote for at least one article of
impeachment against President Bill Clinton.
The comments indicated that the push for impeachment has picked up, and
came as the House Judiciary Committee prepared for a grueling week. The
panel notified the White House over the weekend that the president's
lawyers would be given 30 hours - from 9 A.M. to midnight on both
Tuesday and Wednesday - to present a defense against allegations that
Mr. Clinton lied about his affair with the White House intern Monica
Lewinsky and tried to cover it up. The president's attorneys had asked
for three or four days.

The committee is now expected to vote to send at least one article of
impeachment, and possibly three or four, to the full House by the end of
the week.

Even Democratic members of Congress conceded Sunday that the chances
have grown that the House will send the matter to the Senate for trial.
''We are in a position today that we didn't think - I didn't think -
we'd be in two or three weeks ago,'' said Senator Joseph Lieberman of
Connecticut.

Orrin Hatch, Republican of Utah and chairman of the Senate Judiciary
Committee, said that in recent weeks, ''Things have turned against the
president.''

The chief Republican vote-counter in the House, Representative Tom DeLay
of Texas, said Sunday that a vote in the lower chamber appeared too
close to call. ''It's about a 50-50 proposition right now.'' While
saying that he had not taken a precise head count, he added: ''If we
voted today, the president would be impeached.''

Democrats questioned his conclusion, but some were clearly nervous.

''The simple arithmetic is this will be decided by one or two votes,''
said Representative Charles Schumer of New York, a Democratic member of
the committee, ''and that's frightening to me.''

The presumption following the Republicans' setbacks in the Nov. 3
election that the party would lose its taste for impeachment has given
way to a swelling anger. Many say Mr. Clinton's legalistic responses to
81 questions sent him by the Judiciary Committee demonstrated arrogance
and a lack of repentance.

''The president basically stiffed the Congress,'' said Representative
Christopher Shays, Republican of Connecticut. ''His answers to the 81
questions are outrageous. He still doesn't get it, he still doesn't tell
the truth.''

Such reaction echoed the angry responses to his Aug. 17 speech, in which
Mr. Clinton acknowledged his relationship with Ms. Lewinsky but then
assailed the independent counsel, Kenneth Starr, as being driven by
partisan motives.

Mr. Shays said that while 15 to 20 Republicans may have opposed
impeachment before the 81 answers were delivered, those numbers have
dropped. He opposes impeachment, saying that the allegations against Mr.
Clinton are serious but not impeachable.

Mr. DeLay, meanwhile, said only five Republicans in the House now oppose
impeachment, along with five or six Democrats [for impeachment]- meaning
a vote to impeach might narrowly carry. If it did, the Senate would
conduct a trial of the president, beginning early next year, for only
the second time in American history. The first was the 1868 impeachment
of President Andrew Johnson; he survived conviction by a single vote.

The impeachment process could tie up the Senate for weeks or months.
Trent Lott, the Senate majority leader, said Sunday that if the upper
house was called on to try the president, he hoped to conclude the
process ''very briskly.'' In an interview on NBC he said that he ''could
see it taking a few days to just a few weeks,'' and that the Senate
could proceed with other business even during a trial.

Democrats in the House, meanwhile, assailed Mr. DeLay's vote-counting
and blamed him for blocking efforts to fashion a censure of Mr. Clinton
as a less disruptive way to end the crisis.

Representative John Conyers, the ranking Democrat on the Judiciary
Committee, criticized Mr. Delay for seeking ''to close down the censure
route when we know that there are a lot of people in both parties
looking for a way to maintain their integrity and move to the exit
door.''

Representative Peter King, a Republican from New York, has been trying
to gain support for a plan that would include a strongly worded apology
by Mr. Clinton, a censure vote by Congress and some kind of fine. He
said he had presented the plan to the White House and ''the White House
is considering it.'' But, he contended, the Republican leadership was
blocking the plan.

''If there was a censure vote allowed in the House,'' he said on CBS,
''certainly you would have 15 to 20 Republicans voting for it, and
voting against impeachment.''

The White House, concerned by the rising tide toward impeachment, said
last week, for the first time, that it was open to the possibility of a
fine in the context of a censure agreement.

Mr. Conyers asserted that Mr. DeLay was placing maximum pressure on
Republicans to vote for impeachment.

But Mr. DeLay said that was ''absolutely false.'' Democrats, he said,
''are 'whipping' the vote, they're putting a lot of pressure on their
members; we have not talked to any member and asked any member to vote
one way or another.''

As far as their defense before the Judiciary Committee goes, Mr.
Clinton's attorneys plan to call witnesses to testify about the
standards for impeachment that are laid out in the Constitution, but
none of the key participants in the Lewinsky drama. The list includes
Nicholas Katzenbach, an attorney general during the administration of
Lyndon Johnson; Bruce Ackerman, a professor of constitutional law at
Yale University, and Sean Wilentz, a professor of history at Princeton.

Given the growing bitterness among those favoring impeachment, the
lawyers will have a delicate time trying to construct a solid defense
without further alienating any wavering lawmakers.

One Republican member of the Judiciary Committee, Representative Bill
McCollum of Florida, said Sunday that he favored passing as many as four
articles of impeachment, dealing with alleged perjury, obstruction of
justice and abuse of power.

International Herald Tribune, Dec. 7, 1998

Fin-de-siecle

Y2K Fears on the Fringe

Whom do you shoot?

Sally and Ray Strackbein are suburbanites, living on a wooded one-acre
lot not far from Fair Oaks Mall. They met on the Internet and married
three years ago, moved here from California and got work in the
technology industry. Lately, they've been visiting their neighbors, most
of whom are strangers. They are delivering everyone a present, a little
oil lamp, a symbol of their new mission in life: surviving Y2K.
The Strackbeins are stockpiling food in the basement, the workshop, the
garage and the den. They bought a wood stove for when the power goes
out. They are loaded up on Starkist tuna, Vienna sausages, dried beans
and egg protein powder. They have 18 cans of Spam and two jumbo slabs of
Velveeta.

And they have books: the "U.S. Army Survival Manual," a book called "How
to Hunt," another called "Pet First Aid" (they have three dogs). They
even have a book called "Creepy Crawly Cuisine: The Gourmet Guide to
Edible Insects," but that's just a joke, they say. They expect Y2K to be
bad, certainly, but not so bad that they'll have to eat bugs for dinner.
They're trying to keep things in perspective.

"It can consume your whole life, and I don't think it needs to consume
your whole life," Ray said.

The Strackbeins are part of a grass-roots movement – people stockpiling
food and getting ready for the first scheduled disaster in human
history.

For much of the last year, the Y2K computer bug has been a rallying
point for all manner of subcultures, from Deep Ecology hippies to
consciousness-raising spiritualists to apocalyptic fundamentalists to
gun-toting militia organizers. But now the Y2K fears are spreading into
the mainstream, into the house next door, the next cubicle, the adjacent
seat on the Metro.

For many of these people, Y2K is not merely a crisis, it's a
transformational experience. This is a chance to discover who they are,
what they're made of, and how they would survive if suddenly stripped of
the enveloping comforts of modern civilization.

The Y2K, or millennium, bug is the infamous programming flaw that could
cause widespread computer failures at the very moment 1999 gives way to
the year 2000. These computers contain programming codes that recognize
only the last two digits of the year, and "00" may be interpreted as the
year 1900. No one knows whether Y2K will cause a mere technological
hiccup or something far more serious.

The problem has triggered a multibillion-dollar effort to fix the
software problems before the millennium. The federal government says
that the public need not panic. "There's no evidence at this point to
indicate that people should be disrupting their lives in any significant
way because of the year 2000 problem," said Jack Gribben, spokesman for
the President's Council on Year 2000 Conversion.

But the grass-roots movement isn't buying it. Dozens of Y2K gurus are
stalking the Internet, some warning of a "meltdown." The Internet
acronym of the moment is TEOTWAWKI – which is slightly easier to write
than The End Of The World As We Know It.

The dire scenario includes prolonged power outages even as winter hits
high gear; food shortages; sewers backing up; faucets running dry; and,
of course, martial law. There are fears that planes will fall out of the
sky – everything these days has "embedded chips" that might go haywire
at the millennium.

The alarmists believe that the government is playing down the danger in
order to stave off public panic or a run on the banks. Many corporations
have announced that they have made progress in becoming "Y2K compliant,"
but skeptics think this may be a ruse to prevent stock prices from
falling. Suspicion is a powerful energizer.

The Y2K experts are now saying that this is not merely a technological
problem but a social one as well. Some of the fears could become
self-fulfilling prophecies. The Federal Reserve has already taken steps
to put an extra $50 billion into the banking system in anticipation of
people withdrawing cash from their accounts.

So far, most people apparently are not paying much attention to Y2K (the
Y stands for "year," and 2K is shorthand for 2000). When the Strackbeins
talk to their neighbors, they get a lot of funny looks. Washington isn't
the West Coast, where Y2K is already a cultural storm.

Stephen Balkam, 43, who lives in Friendship Heights in Northwest
Washington, remembers the night he became convinced that Y2K is a
problem. He went to a meeting about Y2K at the Center for Visionary
Leadership, a nonprofit organization above a Starbucks coffee shop on
Wisconsin Avenue next to his own office. Every Monday night, a group of
people gets together to discuss Y2K from technological, cultural and
spiritual perspectives. Balkam hadn't been that worried about the issue,
but that night he converted. He went home and approached his wife, Jan.

"I hugged her tight and said, 'There's something I've got to tell
you.'."

When she heard what he was concerned about, he said, "She thought it was
nuts at first."

Now Balkam, who is president of a nonprofit organization called the
Recreational Software Advisory Council, has helped organize a Friendship
Heights community group to prepare for Y2K. He's been joined by Philip
Bogdonoff, a freelance Internet Web site designer who has also been an
adviser to the World Bank on environmental issues. They are neighbors in
an affluent, quiet precinct of young professionals, an area fully
stocked with bookstores, gourmet coffee shops and upscale retail stores
– not the terrain where one would expect people to be stockpiling food.

"I have sleepless nights, and then I have moments when I think it's all
going to be handled. But those moments are diminishing the more I read
about it and the closer we get to the day," Bogdonoff said.

He is not an extremist on Y2K by any measure. Bogdonoff merely wants to
be prudent. He said he thinks it makes sense to prepare for a two- or
three-week period of severe disruptions, akin to the aftermath of a
major blizzard. He's just started setting aside some food – a few bags
of beans, boxes of pasta, jars of spaghetti sauce, to go along with the
large jars of rice and beans he already stores on a shelf.

"It's such a huge problem – possibly one of the biggest that humanity
has ever faced," Bogdonoff said.

Many of the people who have latched onto Y2K are carrying with them an
ideology, religion or worldview for which Y2K is a kind of affirmation.
Bogdonoff was greatly influenced in the early 1970s by the "Limits to
Growth" study of something called the Club of Rome, which argued that
fossil fuels and other resources were being depleted and that economic
growth couldn't be sustained. The environmental thesis of the 1970s is
reflected in the fears about Y2K: The good times can't last.

His neighbor Balkam said, "Our modern society has led us into this
sleepwalking, in which we think that if we just flip this switch, light
will appear."

The sense of being overly dependent on technology may explain why the
Y2K fears are making inroads into the normally complacent yuppie
culture. People have lost the ability to do something as elementary as
shutting off water to a part of their home. A typical urban house has
become an inscrutable collection of wires, tubes, hoses and pipes.

For Ray Strackbein, knowing how to survive in one's own home has
resonance for society as a whole. He's been worried for a decade, he
said, about whether human civilization is sustainable.

"We have put the planet in jeopardy by not focusing on how the system of
the house works, or the system of the society works, or the system of
the planet works," he said.

People are turning to publications like "Year 2000 Survival Checklists
and Workbook," which provides contacts for ordering bulk food and
solar-powered water pumps and kerosene lamps.

Jay Golter, a federal banking researcher who lives in Springfield, won't
say how much food he's setting aside, in part because he's worried about
being seen as "hoarding" food. He's storing more than his own family of
four needs, he said, because he assumes his neighbors aren't going to be
sufficiently prepared for Y2K.

"I've been very disappointed with my neighbors, and I'm expecting to
have a lot of children to feed," he said.

Golter, 42, has two cords of wood, a wood stove, 98 rolls of toilet
paper, 750 foam plates, 655 coffee filters, 68 rolls of paper towels,
two portable grills, one solar water heater and many cans of rice, flour
and macaroni. He has a Y2K garden, looking a bit pale and dispirited in
the late autumn.

Golter has no ax to grind on Y2K, but he said he's sensitive to how a
society can become dramatically torn asunder. His mother was a refugee
from Nazi Germany. And he spent time in Iran in the late 1970s when it
was going through cultural upheaval as the Shah was toppled by the
Islamic revolution. Many people today are seizing on the Y2K issue and
looking forward to a radical alteration in society, he said, and they
don't realize how brutal it may turn out to be.

"I just want people to survive this and get through it," he said.

One recent morning, Golter and a small squad of Northern Virginia Y2K
activists, including the Strackbeins, passed out fliers at the Ballston
Metro station giving people suggestions for Y2K-appropriate holiday gift
ideas. Instead of buying someone silk pajamas, the flier said, why not
thermal underwear? Instead of foaming bath gel, why not antibacterial
wipes? Instead of earrings, why not earmuffs?

Golter dashed to and fro, chasing busy commuters, doing his best to
explain an extremely complicated point of view in a matter of seconds.
He drew some blank stares. Ray Strackbein, for his part, carried a sign
saying "Computer Virus to Infect the World in 400 Days."

Strackbein said that although he'll have enough food to last a year, he
won't be taking a lot of cash out of the bank in advance of the
millennium. The whole monetary system could collapse, he said. "If
things get bad enough, no one's going to trust the government anymore,
and we'll go back to the barter system," he said. "You can barter toilet
paper. People will give a lot for toilet paper."

There have been prominent media reports of various people heading to the
hills with their guns and bulk food, bunkering down for the long siege.
But there is another strain of thought that is emerging in the
Washington area. At the Monday night meeting at the Center for Visionary
Leadership, the prevailing sentiment was that Y2K may be a boon, that it
may be precisely what communities need.

The center is run by Gordon Davidson and Corinne McLaughlin,
husband-and-wife authors of the book "Spiritual Politics." They advocate
a combination of New Age consciousness raising and community organizing
that goes beyond the traditional liberal-conservative divide. Their
vision is one of people "coming back together in a New England town
meeting," as McLaughlin put it.

At their meetings, everyone sits in a circle and shares any thoughts and
feelings about Y2K and modern life in general. William Moore, a video
producer in the District, said during last Monday's session, "The
society has gotten so separated, we don't even know who lives next door
to us."

The session drew 15 people, a diverse group, multiracial, about evenly
split between men and women and young and old. One woman brought a tiny
dog inside a knapsack. An excitable man with a shaved head, Kenneth
Rothschild, told the group, "This is probably the most important year
with the exception of the year when the asteroid dropped and wiped out
the dinosaurs."

The meeting ended with everyone standing, still in a circle, holding
hands, eyes closed, praying, sharing any inspirational thoughts that
came to mind. McLaughlin made a vow: "We can get through this, whatever
the future holds."

Davidson and McLaughlin became focused on Y2K earlier this year, when
they read about the computer bug on the Internet.

"When you first hear about it, most people are in total denial. They
can't believe that Bill Gates won't come up with a magic bullet. They
can't believe that the world could go through radical change. It's a bit
like having a terminal illness. The first stage is denial," McLaughlin
said.

At one point they were both panicked. They worried about poor people
from the city streaming toward their Bethesda home in search of food.
"You can imagine all sorts of horrible scenarios," Davidson said. Then
they were depressed. They'd worked hard to build up the Center for
Visionary Leadership, and this threatened to destroy everything. Then
they got into a survivalist mode, calling up food companies. Finally
they calmed down and decided that it was a great opportunity to advance
their belief system.

The Y2K problem, McLaughlin said, "is good for the soul of this
country."

A major point of disagreement in the Y2K subculture is over guns. For
some, Y2K is a reason to get more heavily armed. Steve, a low-key
resident of Alexandria who did not want his full name printed, recently
bought a rifle "with Y2K potential" as well as 200 rounds of ammunition.
He decided to buy 200 rounds more. All this is in preparation for what
he thinks might be a massive social upheaval when Y2K strikes. He had
read on the Internet that in a single "bad day," a person might need 800
to 1000 rounds of ammo. He anticipates that the District in particular
will fail to solve its Y2K problem and that the urban poor will strike
out in search of food.

"Those people are going to need food and be upset," he said.

When asked if he would actually shoot people to keep them from getting
his food, he said he wouldn't. He admitted that his response may be an
overreaction to the situation.

"It's slightly irrational. I don't foresee people trying to kick in my
door, unless you put my name in the paper."

Sally Strackbein said she and her husband have asked themselves whether
they're getting too worked up about the computer bug. They've come to a
conclusion: "No, we're not nuts."

"In the Information Age," Ray said, "we became machines. We lost our
humanity. The pendulum is going to swing the other way."

He won't even wait until the computers begin to fail. This winter, when
it gets really cold, he's going to shut off his electrical power for
several days. He hopes it gets to be 18 below, so he can put his systems
to a thorough test. He and Sally will use the wood stove, eat the beans,
survive on canned food and stored water.

They're going to know what the Y2K disaster feels like before it even
happens.

The Washington Post, Dec. 7, 1998
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,