-Caveat Lector-

Linda Minor wrote:
     I love to hear people say that Clinton should be treated
     just like any other American.  But it's obvious from what
     we read in the press, that he has not been afforded any
     of the safeguards required by the Constitution.  And in
     addition, they want to fine him for trying to defend himself.

MJ:
   SPECIFICALLY which of these have been circumvented?

   To my knowledge Mr. Bill has YET to be 'tried' for any offenses.

Linda Minor wrote:
    Exactly.  But any "accused" has the right to presumption
    of innocence after indictment and can prevent the jury from
    hearing any hearsay evidence before the trial.  If necessary
    the jury can be sequestered to prevent such inadmissible
    evidence from tainting their opinions.  This whole procedure
    is a farce.
MJ:
An Impeachment trial is NOT the same as a trial in a court of law.
The only 'farce' would be a 'resolve' without a trial.

MJ quotes:
   No man ought to be exempt from the ties of law; and the higher
   any man is, the more ties he ought to be under. All power ought
   to be balanced with equal restraints, else it will certainly
   grow mischievous. He who knows no law but his own lust, seldom
   observes any other. -- Cato's Letters

Linda Minor wrote:
  So are you saying the president does not deserve to be treated
  like any other American citizen?  That we can convict him in
  the press on hearsay evidence.  If he defends himself, he can
  be fined the cost it takes to railroad him without a trial?

MJ:
Where exactly did I state any of this?

Who is suggesting 'railroad him without a trial'?
There has been some banter suggesting he 'reimburse' court costs
for 'misleading' the investigation -- much like the 100% acquitted
Newt Gingrich (though I fail to see the correlation).

Linda Minor asked:
     And who, pray tell, is Cato?

Cato the Elder or Cato the Censor (Marcus Porcius Cato), 234-149
B.C., Roman statesman and moralist. He fought in the Second Punic
War and later served as consul (195) and censor (184). He was
renowned for his devotion to the old Roman ideals-simplicity of
life, honesty, and courage. He told the senate to destroy Carthage
and thus helped to bring on the Third Punic War, in which Carthage
was vanquished. He also wrote many works, most of which are now
lost. Cato the Younger or Cato of Utica (Marcus Porcius Cato),
95 B.C.-46 B.C., Roman statesman, was the great-grandson of Cato
the Elder. He showed an intense devotion to the principles of the
early republic. He had one of the greatest reputations for honesty
and incorruptibility of anyone in ancient times, and his Stoicism
put him above the graft and bribery of his day. His politics were
extremely conservative. Thus he opposed Julius Caesar and supported
Pompey. After Pompey's defeat at Pharsala in 48 B.C., Cato went
to Africa to continue the struggle and took command at Utica. When
Caesar clearly had gained power, Cato committed suicide, bidding
his people make their peace with Caesar.

Regard$,
--MJ

If he ever violates the laws, one of two things will happen:
He shall come to the head of his army to carry everything
before him; or, he will give bail, or do what Mr. Chief
Justice will order him.  If he be guilty, will not the
recollection of his crimes teach him to make one bold rush
for the American throne?  Will not the immense difference
between being master of everything, and being ignominiously
tried and punished, powerfully excite him to make this bold
push?  But, Sir, where is the existing force to punish him?
Can he not at the head of his army beat down every oppposition?
Away with your President, we shall have a King: The army
will salute him Monarch; your militia will leave you and
assist in making him King, and fight against you: And what
have you to oppose this force?  What then will become of your
rights?  Will not absolute despotism ensue? ...  This, Sir,
is my great objection to the Constitution, that there is no
true responsibility - and that the preservation of our
liberty depends on the single chance of men being virtuous
enough to make laws to punish themselves.
 -- Patrick Henry
    Anti-Federalist Speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,
    June 5, 1788