-Caveat Lector-

>Yeah, who or what do you believe? If you listen to Gary North he sounds a
>little too apocalyptic, yet his supporting information seems plausible, at
>least to this layman. At the same time I've heard programers with nothing
>lose or gain say that yes, Y2K is every bit as serious as it's being
billed,
>and they knew it all the time. But guess what - today we hear that Social
>Security's Y2K bug has been fixed and that they are now in 100% compliance.
>Apparently it took 2800 people to pull that off (no time frame given) and
they
>came in a full year ahead of the deadline. If this is true, it seems
>reasonable that everyone else, with a full year left, has a great
opportunity
>to fix their problem too, or at least that is what I would infer, if the
>spokesman is to be believed. So who was that spokesman, that bearer of good
>tidings? You guessed it! So where does that leave us? Who and what are we
>believe?
>
>As to the martial law theory, it's one that's been gaining momentum in
>conspiracy circles in recent months. And after everything that's come down
>since 1993, you don't dismiss out of hand ANY conspiracy theory anymore.
But
>if there's something in the works, why would Slick announce the SS cure?
>Perhaps to lull the nation into a false sense of security? To short circuit
>preparedness plans? Does that sound paranoid? Maybe, but don't forget that
Mr.
>Bill has made paranoia fashionable.
>
>Jim

Some facts:

The SSA has been working to remediate their systems since 1989. The other
Fed agencies did not start until 1995. It is very interesting that in the
past, the Administration
has claimed all other Agencies would be complaint by Dec. 31, 1998. When
trying to understand the Clinton Administration, the only time they are
forthcoming is by omission. Note there was no announcement that any other
Agency was compliant.
The SSA does not issue the checks. The checks come from Treasury. Treasury
is not compliant.

One of the most vocal group of citizens that the pols really pay attention
to are the Seniors, especially when it comes to their SS checks. No doubt
the White House has been getting a lot of fevered inquiries from the
Seniors, demanding to know if Y2K will effect their SS checks. Are we seeing
a poll driven photo op here?

An aside: Notice Clinton said that SS checks would not be delayed "for one
day".
Why didn't he simply say that they would not be delayed, period? Does it
mean
that the checks will be delayed for more then one day? (Depends on what the
word "is"
"is"?)

They claim they are "compliant" yet they have not fully tested. Testing is
the difficult part.

SSA interacts with approx 2000 other data base systems. If those systems are
not compliant, then they can corrupt the whole SSA system. As of today, the
SA does not know the status of those systems.

It took them 9 years to remediate 30,000,000 lines of code. The SSA also
relies on approx. 33,000,000 lines of code within State agencies. Those
lines have not been
remediated.

Clinton has signed various E.O.'s giving himself martial law powers (when he
declares an emergency). The Feds (FEMA and the military) are planning
several "exercises" to practice for possible Y2K National / International
"emergencies" in the first part of 1999. The state's National Guards have
been coordinating with FEMA in case of a
"National Emergency". For the past several years the military has been
practicing
"urban assaults" in many major US cities.....

Conspiracy? Of course not. Maybe they just know something that we don't.
flw