-Caveat Lector-

Alamaine Ratliff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  -Caveat Lector-
> Anyway, more myth & legend on the Pilgrims:
>
> From http://www.athensnewspapers.com/1997/112697/1126.a3pilgrims.html
>
> American detective work brings
> alive Pilgrims' forgotten years
>
> By William J. Kole
> Associated Press
<snip>

An update on Jeremy Bangs...
================================
Dutch border tightens on American historian

By William J. Kole
ASSOCIATED PRESS

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands -- Nearly four centuries after it took in the Pilgrims,
the Netherlands has ordered America's foremost Pilgrim expert to leave.

Jeremy Bangs, founder of a new Pilgrim museum in the medieval city of Leiden,
has been caught in the Dutch government's immigration crackdown, a response to
an unprecedented wave of refugees.

For Bangs, the order to leave by Jan. 15 is thick with irony. He has been
chronicling how the Pilgrims, before boarding the Mayflower, spent 11 years in
a Holland that proudly declared in 1609 that it "refuses no honest people free
entry."

The Netherlands' refusal to grant him a residency permit, Bangs contends, will
force the closure of the only museum focusing on the Pilgrims'
little-knownexile here.

"I'm not a refugee; I'm a historian," Bangs, 52, said yesterday. "They can
expel me. They can just appear and deport me. It's incredible. People are
shocked, and my own mood is souring."

The Justice Ministry, which oversees immigration policy, this month rejected
Bangs' application for new residency papers, saying the historian needed a
work permit.

Officials also have refused to recognize Bangs' financial support, expenses
and health insurance through the New England Historic Genealogical Society as
an adequate source of income.

Bangs, who has written 10 books about the Pilgrims, was told that he could not
apply for a work permit because he was officially considered an employee of
the museum he opened on Thanksgiving Day 1997 and only employers can apply.

"The whole thing just makes me furious," said Jane Fiske, editor of the
Register of the New England Historic Genealogical Society, which publishes
Bangs' research.

Bangs' Leiden American Pilgrim Museum is in a typical Pilgrim-style,
16th-century, one-room house in the heart of Leiden, 25 miles southwest of
Amsterdam. It was an instant hit in the town that offered refuge to 100
Pilgrims and that still holds yearly Thanksgiving Day services in the main
church. More than 2,600 people have visited the cramped museum cluttered with
Pilgrim-era tools, pottery and furniture.

Supporters worldwide are writing letters to Queen Beatrix and cabinet
ministers on behalf of Bangs and his wife. Even the Ministry of Culture has
issued a statement that Bangs' work "serves an essential interest of the
Netherlands."

But the Justice Ministry has refused to budge. It is struggling to contain a
record of nearly 50,000 illegal immigrants this year from Afghanistan, Turkey
and the former Yugoslavia.

"Nobody could be more politically harmless than Jeremy," Fiske said. "You
know, I used to be proud of my own Dutch heritage but not anymore."

© 1998 Philadelphia Newspapers Inc.

=================================
Robert F. Tatman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Remove "nospam" from the address to reply.

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed
without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included
information for research and educational purposes. For
more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

POSTING THIS MESSAGE TO THE INTERNET DOES NOT IMPLY PERMISSION TO SEND UNSOLICITED
COMMERCIAL E-MAIL (SPAM) TO THIS OR ANY OTHER INTERNET ADDRESS. RECEIPT OF SPAM WILL
RESULT IN IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATION OF THE SENDER'S ISP.