-Caveat Lector-

             TWA Flight 800 Missile Cover-up Suspicions Renewed
                             David J. Hale Jr.
                              December 9, 1998

   Suspicions of a government cover-up of the TWA Flight 800 tragedy have
   been fueled by the unexplained appearance of three fast-moving ships
   and another unidentified radar target off Long Island at the same time
   as the jets explosion over the cold Atlantic in July 1996.

   More interest was sparked in July 1998 when former FBI assistant
   director James Kallstrom, who headed the bureau's investigation of the
   incident, claimed in a taped interview that the ships were, in fact,
   U.S. Navy vessels on "classified" maneuvers.

   Since that interview, Kallstrom says his answers were misinterpreted.

   According to the Islip, New York, FAA, three radar targets were
   detected moving at about 15 knots in an undefined direction about five
   miles from fight 800. One radar target was detected moving at 30 knots
   about two miles from the crash in a southeasterly direction.

   One vessel was caught on radar because its structure was at least six
   stories high, a moving object consistent with a large naval vessel.

   Some theories, buttressed by an ample amount of eyewitness and
   physical evidence, suggest that a missile was fired from sea,
   destroying the plane, in either a Navy accident or an attack by a
   terrorist group or foreign nation.

   Soon after the tragedy, ABC correspondent Pierre Salinger claimed that
   a U.S. Navy ship on maneuvers accidentally fired on the civilian
   airliner. Other experts like investigative reporter David Hendrix,
   claim that numerous U.S. Navy vessels were within a 50- to
   290-nautical-mile radius of the crash site. He obtained the data
   through a Freedom of Information Act request.

   Also, private investigator James Sanders has argued that a U.S. Navy
   ship fired a missile that downed Flight 800.

   These claims took on new credibility when Kallstrom admitted to
   Accuracy in Media's Reed Irvine that the ships picked up on radar were
   indeed naval vessels.

   An excerpt of his July 1998 interview follows:

   IRVINE: Let's open up the report, lets open up the record, lets take
   out the secrecy. That's the point.

   KALLSTROM: Yeah, I think it would be good to do that at this point now
   that the criminal case is not open. But it's in the hands of NTSB. ...

   IRVINE: Hey, the bureau [FBI] just sent [Congressman] Trafficant a
   letter saying they couldn't identify three vessels that were in the
   vicinity, for privacy reasons -- come on!

   KALLSTROM: Well, yeah. Well, we all know what those were. In fact, I
   even spoke about those publicly.

   IRVINE: What were they?

   KALLSTROM: They were Navy vessels that were on classified maneuvers.

   IRVINE: What about the one that went racing out to sea at 30 knots?

   KALLSTROM: That was a helicopter.

   IRVINE: On the surface?...

   KALLSTROM: Well, between you and I, the conventional wisdom was,
   although it's probably not totally provable, was that it was a
   helicopter.

   In a recent interview with NewsMax.com, Kallstrom, now a vice
   president at a major credit card company, later amended his statement
   to Irvine.

   "When Reed Irvine asked me that question, I thought he meant in the
   vicinity, which to me means within a 200-nautical-mile radius of the
   crash," said Kallstrom.

   "The closest ship was the USS Normandy about 180 nautical miles from
   the crash. Those radar blips, I do believe we did know what they were.
   They were boats and one was a low-flying helicopter traveling at 30
   knots, which was initially of great concern."

   Kallstrom vehemently denies claims that the plane crashed as a result
   of a missile firing.

   One person not buying Kallstrom's claims is William Donaldson.

   Donaldson retired in 1991 from the Navy after a career as a decorated
   fighter pilot and Navy accident investigator.

   In July 1998, Donaldson's organization, Associated Retired Aviation
   Professionals (ARAP), issued a report detailing the case that one or
   more missiles struck TWA 800. Donaldson has claimed that as many as
   two foreign missiles exploded near the plane.

   He says that Navy vessels were in the area close to the crash on
   "top-secret" maneuvers. "They had a good reason to be there," he says.

   "There were Navy ships where they weren't supposed to be, and it
   appears they were actually in a defensive mode, trying to catch
   somebody."

   Donaldson discusses the Navy presence in his report and bases his
   information on his own eyewitness interviews, Navy records, and radar
   images. The Navy acknowledged that an aircraft carrier and its
   aircraft, a submarine, and a P-3 plane were active in military
   exercises 200 miles south of the crash.

   The missile theory is supported by more than 115 eyewitnesses who
   reported seeing a light streaking upward. These eyewitnesses include
   former FBI agents, military officers, pilots, boat owners, and other
   witnesses on the ground.

   The FBI and National Transportation Safety Board deny the Navy missile
   theory, and both agencies refuse to release their official eyewitness
   interviews.

   "Those records cannot be released, because there is a pending inactive
   criminal investigation," said Kallstrom. "We have ruled out criminal
   activity to the 99.9 percentile."

   In the report, Donaldson pinpoints the locations of two missile
   firings using triangulation methods based on damage assessments and
   his eyewitness interviews. His mathematical backtracking precludes the
   possibility of the missile being fired from any of the alleged Navy
   ships in the area.

   "The weapon used against TWA Flight 800 was most probably a modified
   Soviet SAM-6," said Donaldson's report. The SAM-6 missile is radar- or
   optically guided with a maximum altitude of 36,000 feet and a maximum
   speed of Mach 2.6. It explodes by proximity or contact.

   "We had the best experts in the world look at the possibility of a
   missile, and they all agreed that it wasn't a missile," said
   Kallstrom. "The reports of what [eyewitnesses] saw is what made me
   send a thousand people up there to investigate," said Kallstrom of his
   willingness to investigate the missile theory.

                             [INLINE] [INLINE]

                         [INLINE] [INLINE] [INLINE]

      NewsMax Home · Archives · Inside Cover · TalkMax · Liners · Comment
                                           Max · News Links · Contact Us!

                             [INLINE] [INLINE]

         © 1998, NewsMax.com Site Design by David Grumm / Luke Kelly