-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 1/1/99 9:35:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

>  Could you please quantify this?  A quick check of census figures and the
>  C1A World Factbook he difference in average income between Germany and
>  Greece is greater than the difference between Connecticut and Mississippi
>  (the difference between west & east Germany is even greater).
>
>  Or were you referring to the difference in income levels between the
>  richest and poorest within a country?  In Europe these are held lower by
>  high rates of taxation and social welfare, i.e. income redistribution.

Yes, one must be careful in these comparisons.  It's sort of like the
epidemiological studies that can make cancer rate differentials invisible by
carefully selecting the population group.  As you suggest, when considering
income or wealth gaps, one must look at ratios of the richest to the poorest.
When considering absolute income, it is important to look at medians rather
than averages.

>  Europe will never be as cohesive as the US due to differences in language.
>  But I don't see this as being much of a factor in the Euro being a popular
>  trading currency.  Trading ties and currency stability will factor much
>  higher.  Look for the Euro to be popular in Europe, Africa, possibly
>  Western Asia, and the Dollar to maintain its strength in Eastern Asia and
>  the Americas.
>
>  Che

You are probably correct for over the next few years.  The reason i believe
that those nations which have the most widely shared income, wealth,
knowledge, and power are going to become gradually dominant is that such a
nation is naturally able to marshall superior strength in any endeavor over
other countries of similar population size.  Of course, this applies to the
290 million Euro Europeans compared to the US.  Unless our corporate masters
and their servants, the Republicans and the news media wake up fast, and there
is no sign of this about to happen, the Euro folks are going to pass us
economically.  The international politics follows the money.

Nothing has been more revealing than the way Bush and his boys passed the
begging bowl so we could make war in The Gulf.  The Japanese really rubbed it
in when they objected to having to pay at all saying they could live with
Saddam just fine.  To a great extent out international leadership rests upon
the memories of WWII and fears among various nations of Japan and Germany
including fears from many in Japan and Germany.  This condition is has
weakened some and, naturally, will contine to do so with the passage of time.
We didn't have to help it along with our cowboy adventures in Vietnam, Panama
etc. but that is another story.