-Caveat Lector-

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Robert Tatman wrote:

>  -Caveat Lector-
>
> Brian Redman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <snip>
> > The true nature of  revolution  is  revealed  in a recent book by
> > Frank J. Sulloway, "Born To Rebel."  (New  York:   Random  House,
> > 1996.     ISBN:     0-679-44232-4.)     Sulloway    argues   that
> > rebelliousness is statistically discernable by Darwinian niche.
> <snip>
> > Statistical evidence that the true revolutionaries tend to be the
> > later  borns;  that  the   first-borns   tend  to  identify  with
> > authority.
> <snip>
>
> With all due respect, this is so much hogwash. I have Sulloway's book; I've
> read part of it, but didn't finish it. I am a first-born. My wife is a
> first-born. In each of our families, we were the rebels, the ones who resisted
> the established order; it was our younger siblings who succeeded academically
> and moved into positions of authority in society. "Success," as the world
> measures success, has been a long time coming for us...but we have accumulated
> lots of scars in the struggle against the Oligarchy and its minions.

Since you've read some of Sulloway's book, you must know that Sulloway
does not claim there are no exceptions to his firstborn/later-born
findings. You'll probably remember that Sulloway analyzes biographical
information via statistics, and that his statistics always show
correlation but never 100 percent correlation. "Rhea Fortean", a
key contributor to CNNS also happens to be a firstborn yet in her
case, as well as yours, she proves the exception to the rule. That
doesn't negate Sulloway's "rule of thumb," since he never claims
it's always true.

Brian Redman
Editor, Conspiracy Nation News Service