-Caveat Lector-

Sorry if I spoiled anyone's vacation plans!

In the tourist areas (Ixtapa, Acapulco, Cozumel, Ziahuatenejo, Cuernavaca)
you are still safe...  the problems for Americans begin when you get into
the interior.

Part of the problem is the devolution of civic life down there... a spate
of assassinations of journalists/reform politicians/labor leaders... the
country is swinging to the far right.  Cardenas represents the only hope
for poor...but I suspect that even he is afraid of being murdered (the
fate of Colosio, a man who was respected by the majority of Mexicans).
Cardenas has the backing of the labor unions and the people....but the
big money (pro-NAFTA people) are behind PAN and PRI.

Sadly, the "war against drugs" down there involves the shakedown of people
who want to reform the system.  Not much can be done to turn things
around...  The rich get richer and the poor get poorer... but until the
country stabilizes, Americans are foolish to wander down into the
interior..