In a message dated 1/9/99 1:52:25 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>The report notes that at the time of the Oklahoma City bombing, the FBI had
>about 100 domestic terrorism investigations under way, compared with about
900
>now.

Hmm . . . for whom the bells toll?

-----

->  SNETNEWS  Mailing List

(sent to USCMike1's 9,500+ readership - Please re-post to your own mailing
lists)

   Is is possible that the FBI may have pulled off a pre-emptive raid on
Donald Rudolf to prevent him from relocating in the Pacific Northwest?

USCMike1

USA TODAY

>12/23/98- Updated 06:59 AM ET
>The Nation's Homepage
>

>FBI battles terrorism in Northwest

SEATTLE   The FBI is launching a task force on domestic terrorism in the
Pacific Northwest, long considered a hotbed for white supremacist and anti-
federal government activities.

The action comes as anti-supremacist activists in the Northwest fear an
increase in terrorism coinciding with the year 2000. ''We anticipate that 1999
is going to be a
pretty tough year,'' says Bill Wassmuth, executive director of the Northwest
Coalition Against Malicious Harassment based here.

Already, there is talk about ''Doomsday'' and ''Armageddon,'' among these
groups, Wassmuth says, and paranoia about the possible computer collapse at
the beginning of the year 2000, commonly called the Y2K problem.

He says these groups fear the federal government secretly favors collapse of
the financial system and other social institutions, ''so that it can abolish
personal
freedoms and establish world government.''

''That is the No. 1 topic at preparedness expos'' organized by the anti-
government groups, Wassmuth says.

''There are people buying two years of food and supplies and heading for the
hills,'' Wassmuth says. His group is a coalition of organizations in six
Northwestern
states countering white supremacist and extremist groups.

The FBI task force is still being assembled. It will include agents from
federal, state and local law enforcement agencies in eastern Washington,
northern Idaho and western Montana, says Burdena Pasenelli, special agent in
charge of FBI division headquarters in Seattle.

''Our goal is to find out ahead of time what is planned and to prevent
incidents of domestic terrorism,'' she says. ''Historically, this area has had
a number of
domestic terrorism incidents.''

The task force is a joint effort of the FBI division headquartered in Seattle
and Salt Lake City. It is an outgrowth of domestic terrorism legislation and
the addition of 500 FBI agents authorized after the 1995 bombing of the
federal office building in Oklahoma City.

Formed at a meeting this fall in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, this is the first FBI
task force to cross state lines and FBI field offices, Pasenelli says. ''We
call it the Inland
Empire,'' she says, referring to the three-state region being covered.

Richard Butler, 80, is leader of a group called Aryan Nations, based in Hayden
Lake, Idaho, since 1973. He says the task force may be watching his
organization but that his members are not involved in any terrorist activity.

''The FBI is just an arm of the money system,'' and is being directed by
President Clinton, ''who has appointed nothing but non-Christians and non-
whites,'' Butler says.

Mark Potok of the Southern Poverty Law Center in Montgomery, Ala., and editor
of its quarterly Intelligence Report, says, ''The Pacific Northwest has
produced some of this nation's leading domestic terrorists.'' The only
comparable areas are certain parts of the Ozarks and rural North Carolina, he
says.

The center has compiled a list of 26 domestic terrorist incidents between
September 1995 and March 1998. Eight of those incidents occurred in the
Northwest or were linked to organizations based there.

The report notes that at the time of the Oklahoma City bombing, the FBI had
about 100 domestic terrorism investigations under way, compared with about 900
now.

By Patrick McMahon, USA TODAY

-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
->  Posted by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]