-Caveat Lector-

Treason in America -- From Aaron Burr to Averell Harriman
ANTON CHAITKIN (C)1984
New Benjamin Franklin House
P. O. Box 20551
New York, New York 10023
ISBN 0-933488-32-7

-----
An interesting book. Seems to be well researched. Lyndon Larouche wrote the
introduction. Om ---NOTICE--- excerpt from chapter 9:
*The opium-traders became "the boss" in Salem and Newburyport, in Essex
County, Massachusetts. In Salem, they formed the East India Society, which
held a "jollification" each year, parading through the streets in Chinese
costumes and artifacts, (18) to remind the local folks where the money was
coming from. The cult of the irrational, and the search for expressions of
feudalism and anti-industrialism in culture and politics, was a product of
this treasonous combination in Essex County.
Among the personalities originating within the womb of this treasonous clique,
from the city of Newburyport alone, were: Caleb Cushing; Cushing's protege,
Albert Pike; William Lloyd Garrison; Caleb Huse; and George Peabody. The last-
named was the founder of a gigantic banking firm in England, to whose service
he hired Junius and J. P. Morgan. When Peabody died, the firm became the House
of Morgan, and later moved to the U.S.A. The other Newburyporters named, were
all, each in their own particular role, architects of the American Civil War.
It is their story we are telling in these chapters on the history of treason
in America.*

--cont--
-9-

The Organization of Dope, Incorporated

On July 4, 1821, U.S. Secretary of State John Quincy Adams delivered an
address in Washington, D. C., a speech which was designed to prepare the
public for the issuance of the Monroe Doctrine, of which Adams was the author.
Adams identified the role of the United States as the model for the world's
republican movements, and as the scourge of the European oligarchy:

If the wise and learned philosophers of the elder world— should . . . enquire
what has America done for the benefit of mankind? Let our answer be this:
America, with the same voice which spoke herself into existence as a nation,
proclaimed to mankind the inextinguishable rights of human nature, and the
only lawful foundations of government. America, in the assembly of nations,
since her admission among them, has invariably . . . held forth to them the
hand of honest friendship, of equal freedom, of generous reciprocity. (1)

After reciting the Declaration of Independence, in this setting, he called it:

the first solemn declaration by a nation of the only legitimate foundation of
civil government. It was the cornerstone of a new fabric, destined to cover
the surface of the globe. It demolished at a stroke the lawfulness of all
governments founded upon conquest. It swept away all the rubbish of
accumulated centuries of servitude.... From the day of this Declaration, the
people of North America were no longer the fragment of a distant hemisphere,
imploring justice and mercy from an inexorable master in another
hemisphere.... They were a nation, asserting as of right, and maintaining by
war, its own existence. A nation was born in a day.... It stands ... a beacon
on the summit of the mountain, to which all the inhabitants of the earth may
turn their eyes for a genial and saving light . . . a light of salvation and
redemption of the oppressed.(2)

When the New England Federalist critics of Adams labeled this address of his
"tasteless," Adams rebuked them in a letter addressed to Edward Everett:

I demonstrated . . . from the moral and physical nature of man that colonial
establishments cannot fulfill the great objects of civil society....
[This] demonstration . . . settles the justice of the present struggle of
South America for independence....
It looks forward prospectively to the downfall of the British Empire in India
as an event which must necessarily ensue at no very distant period of time.
It anticipates a great question in the national policy of this Union which may
be nearer at hand than most of our countrymen are aware of: whether we too
shall annex to our federative government a great system of colonial
establishments. It points to a principle proving that such establishments are
but mighty engines of wrong, and that in the progress of social improvement it
will be the duty of the human family to abolish them, as they are now
endeavoring to abolish the slave-trade. (3)

The powerful financier-networks of the Venetian oligarchy, together with their
Anglo-Swiss junior partners, were determined to destroy the United States from
within, since this destruction could not be accomplished solely by means of
armed assault from without. The question was posed by this, chiefly British,
subversive effort: would the United States adhere to the principles on which
it had been established a constitutional republic? Would this republic
continue to be the champion of and model for the creation of powerful
alliances among sovereign republics in Asia, Africa, and Ibero-America? Or,
could the Venetian, Swiss, and British oligarchies' combined efforts recapture
control of the states of the Union, and make the republic too an instrument of
colonial oppression, a creature controlled by the European oligarchy?
The leading edge of this issue in both foreign and domestic policy was the
issue of human chattel-slavery. In the history of our republic, the rise of
cotton-picking chattel-slavery in the southern states, the profitable
combination of cheap southern slaves by the textile industry of Britain,
British dumping of cheap textiles upon India, and India's paying the British
for these textiles through exporting opium for the China opium-trade, are all
of one interconnected, indivisible piece. At the center of this squatted
Thomas Handasyd Perkins and the Perkins slave-trading company. The Boston
Brahmins were the kernel of that early slave-trading company.
The syndicate began during the war of 1776-1783, when three members of T. H.
Perkins's family fled the United States as British loyalists. The continuation
of the political and business connections to the rulers of the British Empire,
enlarged by this emigration, gave the young merchant, T. H. Perkins, a great
advantage in his efforts to amass a personal fortune in the West Indies trade.
The principal commodity sold into the West Indies by Perkins, until 1792 was
black slaves from Africa.
>From the letter-book of the firm of J. and T. H. Perkins and Company, there is
the following copy of a letter, dated 1792, giving instructions to the captain
of a ship, the Willing Quaker, then bound for the African coast for slaves.

. . . take care that they are young & healthy, without
any defects in their Limbs, Teeth & Eyes, & as few females
as possible. Every attention is to be paid them that they
are well fed, well used, kept clean & dry. For if they once
get disheartened they will die like sheep. Suffer no person
to strike them on any account, & always keep your men
Slaves in Irons, & see the gratings locked at Sunset....
Proceed to Surinam & there dispose of your Women Slaves
. . . if you can get $50 a head you may dispose of the
whole....(4)

The slave trade was conducted by the predecessor firm, of Perkins, Burling and
Company. Of the Boston Brahmins who later participated with T. H. Perkins as
well in his Asian adventures, the names of at least "Cabot" and "Forbes" are
supplied by the J. and T. H. Perkins and Company letter-book, as early
participants with him in the slave trade up until 1782. This letter-book
supplies 147 letters to slave-traders for different numbers of slaves.
The slaves' revolt of 1792 in Santa Domingo wiped out his brother's plantation
and merchant's business in Santo Domingo; therefore the shift in composition
of the family's business during that year. T. H. Perkins was already on to a
much greater source of fortune by that time, the greatest source of the wealth
of the Boston Brahmins: China.

The real story of the wealth of the respectable families of New England began
in 1787, as British Secretary of State Henry Dundas composed his master-plan
for expansion of the opium-trade into China. In 1789, the first New England
merchant engaged in the China opium-trade, Elias Hasket Derby, took T. H.
Perkins with him on a voyage. At his return, T. H. Perkins organized his
opium-trade syndicate. James and T. H. Perkins and Company went into the China
trade, together with those who would become partners with that Company in this
traffic.
The following highlights of the history of the Company are sufficient to
identify the forces later to assemble around Caleb Cushing's orchestration of
both sides of the conflict leading into the war of 1861-1865.
The core of the Perkins syndicate was assembled as follows. One among the
Perkins family who fled the United States during 1776-1783 was George Perkins,
who set himself up as a British Empire merchant in Smyrna, Turkey. It was
through George that James and Thomas Perkins were able to make the connection
to supplies of Turkish opium, bypassing the monopoly over Indian opium
controlled by the British East India Company.
Again, the incestuous begetting among the Boston Brahmins plays a decisive
role in affairs. Thomas Perkins's brother, James, married Sarah Paine.(5)
Sarah Paine's brother, Dr. William Paine, was a British loyalist emigre from
1776-1783, who had been appointed apothecary to the British forces in America,
and was then chosen by Sir Guy Carleton to become surgeon-general of the
British Army—the same Sir Guy who put on the "Alexander's feast" for Old Judge
John Lowell in New York City in 1783. When the Massachusetts act banning
British loyalists was repealed, in 1787, Dr. William Paine returned to Salem,
Massachusetts, where he continued to receive half-pay as a British officer.
His son, Frederick Paine, joined the Perkins's China enterprise. Dr. Paine's
daughter, Esther, her first-cousin and husband, Joseph Cabot, with other
partners of the firm all resided together in T. H. Perkins's Salem mansion.

>From the Cabots to Bell Telephone

Samuel Cabot's son, Samuel, the great-grandson of the Boston East India
Company agent Richard Clarke, married T. H. Perkins's daughter, Eliza, and
joined the J. and T. H. Perkins firm. It was through this Salem connection
that the vast Cabot fortune in America was assembled.
Robert Cushing, the sixth generation of that family in America, married T. H.
Perkins's sister, Ann Maynard Perkins.(6) Their son, John Perkins, was adopted
by his uncle, T. H. Perkins, and was brought into the firm. According to all
accounts, John Perkins Cushing made a fortune in China of at least 7 million
dollars. Living in China for 30 years, he retired to his home in Watertown,
Massachusetts, where he dressed his Chinese servants in native costumes, and
maintained a constant carnival atmosphere amid his loot. This Cushing's
sister, Ann, married Henry Higginson. His cousin was the Caleb Cushing of whom
we shall come to learn a great deal.
Ralph Bennett Forbes married T. H. Perkins's sister, Margaret.(7) Their son,
Robert Bennett Forbes, joined the Perkins firm at an early age. In China, this
son became the foreign affairs manager for a merchant named Houqua, who had
himself been made responsible for all of China's foreign relations with the
West by the Chinese Emperor. Robert B. Forbes's brother, John Murray Forbes,
took over managing Houqua and China's foreign relations, after Robert's death,
and amassed a great fortune. Perkins's money bought out the work of Alexander
Graham Bell, and John Murray Forbes's son, William, became president of the
American Bell Telephone Company and married the daughter of Ralph Waldo
Emerson.
Russell Sturgis married T. H. Perkins's sister, Elizabeth,(8) and joined the
firm. His grandson, by the same name, moved to England and became chairman of
the Baring Bank, the bank of the same Lord Shelburne who had organized the
massive subversion of the United States, the bank which was the bank of the
British East India Company.
Although the word "opium" is curiously, but not surprisingly, omitted from
references to these family fortunes in the Dictionary of American Biography,
the letter-book of J. & T.H. Perkins corrects that omission.

• Item: To Wm. Lorman & Sons, Jan. 16, 817:
"Our Brig. Bocca Tigris was at Leghorn 14' Nov. & sl'd 18'.
She takes out 40,000 pounds of Opium and 250,000 lb. Quick
Silver.... Mr. Wm. Paine, at the Ilse of France, has been
long expected in this country....(9)

• Item: To Gambreleng & Pearson, Jan. 16, 1817:
The Chinese have issued a strong edict against the introduction
of Opium, & the getting of it will be dangerous. (10)

• Item: To F. W. Paine, Gilbraltar, March 21, 1817:
We learn from a supercargo just arrd from Smyrna that the
cost of Opium is about $2.66 pr. Engl. pound. Best time for
purchasing. June & July.... We have nothing new but a
President [Monroe]. Business dull & likely to be more so.(11)

• Item: To S. Williams, sometimes during 1817:
Our friends Houqua & Perkins & Co. have addressed us on
the subject of purchasing Bengal Opium in England.... They
request that you will purchase say 15,000 lb. of this Opium,
at not more than 20 sh. on board, & ship them to us.... We understand that
Baring Bros. have the control by contract for all the Quicksilver taken from
the mines of Austria.... We wish you to write to Messr. Perkins Brothers at
Smyrna, authorizing them to draw on you for £10,000 to be invested in Opium.
Mr. Geo. Perkins, at Smyrna, did the business of the Harve packet . . . we are
fearful that there will be so many in pursuit of Opium that it will rise in
price in Smynra. (12)

• Item: To F. W. Paine, 1817:
The last quotations of Opium at Canton were $5.43 per lb. The article is a
prohibited one, & transient adventurers cannot deal in it so advantageously as
we can. (13)

• Item: To E. E. Newton, sometime during 1817:
We wish you to give us or Mr. Cushing all the information you can about a
certain kind of Opium sh. is produced by the Gulph of Persia. We think it
costs little more than $1 a pound. (14)

• Item: To F. W. Paine, Leghorn, March 24, 1818:
>From the intention of the Chinese to be very strict about Opium, the
competition you fear we think will not exist. We know no one but John Jacob]
Astor we fear. . . (15)

Astor was, in point of fact, the pioneer among American-based opium
traffickers, but the syndicate Perkins had assembled was far outdistancing
Astor's efforts at the time those items were recorded. Entries in Perkins's
memorandum-books show shipments of opium by his firm amounting to 177,837
pounds, from January 1824 to July 1825. In 1827, T. H. Perkins's opium
operations were so large that he wrote: "We know of none in the United States
except what we hold." Referring to a single ship carrying 1,000 chests of
opium, a letter dated December 10, 1829 reports: "The Cargo of the Banshaw
will amount to something like 570,000 to 600,000 dollars. . . . It cannot fail
to give a gain of 150,000 to 250,000 dollars.''(16)
A few facts show the breadth of impact of the China opium-trade on the
internal political affairs and destiny of the United States.
The China trade was financed almost entirely by the Baring Brothers Bank in
England. From the earliest days of our republic, the question of who would
provide credit to American merchants was of strategic importance. Even after
Hamilton established the Bank of the United States, which made us potentially
independent of foreign sources for domestic production and commerce, our
nation's foreign trade required a significant margin of sources of foreign
credit, especially for the net-import-values of capital goods. When the "free
trade" movement, led by spokesmen who were themselves employed by the opium-
traffickers, succeeded in closing that bank, the Barings and allied foreign
oligarchists gained a great power over America's foreign trade. The Perkins
syndicate did business in China entirely in the company of British Empire
merchants and military officials, among the operations centered in the tiny
Canton river-area reserved for foreigners. The Perkins syndicate lived with
the British, smuggled and bribed with them, and poisoned and murdered a
generation of Chinese for a fabulous profit. This fabulous profit was the
payment they gained for attaching themselves to the rump of the British Indian
Empire.(17)

[...]
Harvard College's relationship to these "bluebloods" has been, since the
American Revolution, quite straightforward. A small board ran the Harvard
Corporation, and the board itself chose new members to replace retirees. In
the period after the Revolution, Harvard came entirely under the control of
the Essex Junto, and was used as an instrument for their political ends.
Judge John Lowell was selected to Harvard's Board, and he immediately saw to
it that a great deal of money was pumped into the school. From that time until
1943, there was only one decade in which a Lowell was not among the half-dozen
or so board members. The Cabot name has had nearly as tight an association
with control of the school.
John Lowell ("The Rebel") attended his first meeting of the Harvard board
April 17, 1810, at the home of the board chairman, Essex Junto member
Theophilus Parsons. (19) Judge Parsons was aptly characterized by a republican
faculty member: "Our college .... is under the absolute direction of the Essex
Junto, at the head of which stands Chief Justice Parsons,.... a man as cunning
as Lucifer and about half as good. This man is at the head of the
Corporation.''(20) Other participants that day were the corporation treasurer,
Newburyport merchant Jonathan Jackson, who had served under John Lowell on the
town committee to counter-organize against Boston in the Stamp Act days;
Oliver Wendell, grandfather of Oliver Wendell Holmes; and two ministers. Three
weeks later, the Board installed a new president of the college, John Thornton
Kirkland.
It was President Kirkland who greeted Aaron Burr in May 1812, when the
fugitive from justice arrived in disguise at Harvard, just off the boat from
England. Kirkland gave him a check drawn on the College, and Burr was on his
way to New York— days before the declaration of war.
Under John Kirkland's direction, Harvard grew into a university, and at the
same time developed into a nursery for a variety of radical movements. From
the historical record, there is a striking resemblance between Harvard under
Kirkland, and Columbia University in the late 1960s. For the 18 years of his
tenure, Harvard students repeatedly rioted and rampaged through the campus and
the town; they invented cruel rituals; they destroyed buildings and each
other's property. The major student uprisings in 1823 were known as the Great
Rebellion.
The people of Boston became thoroughly disgusted with Kirkland's reign of
Atheism, Anarchy, and Aristocracy. In 1828, the president resigned his post
under considerable pressure.(21) During the same year he married the daughter
of George Cabot.
During the War of 1812, Caleb Cushing(22) of Newburyport entered Harvard
College. His father was a wealthy ship owner; his cousin(23) John Perkins
Cushing, was engaged in the illicit opium traffic in China, and was on his way
to becoming one of the wealthiest men in the world. As an undergraduate, Caleb
Cushing spent nearly every Sunday evening at the home of President Kirkland,
and he was particularly close to a young nephew of John Lowell's at the
college. His worship of the powerful, and his dogged ambition to be one of
them, was early noticed and rewarded by the Essex Junto group. A local
Newburyport wit wrote a famous epitaph for Caleb Cushing:

Lay aside all ye dead for in the next bed, reposes the body of Cushing:
He has crowded his way through the world, as they say, and even though dead
will keep pushing.

After graduation Cushing spent a year at Harvard Law School, and had a short
internship at a law office. President Kirkland hired him in 1820, at age 20,
as a mathematics teacher. His relations with the College remained extremely
close throughout the Kirkland era.
In 1822, Cushing began writing editorials for the Newburyport Herald, the
local organ of the Essex Junto. The type for these editorials was set by an
18-year-old Herald employee, William Lloyd Garrison.(24) When Cushing took
over editorship of the paper during the summer, he took the young man under
his wing, and by careful and persistent cultivation, launched Garrison on his
strange political career.
Biographer John L. Thomas records this crucial moment in his hero's life:

It was Cushing who first called young Garrison's attention to slavery.... [H]e
did not regard slavery as a serious problem until Cushing opened his eyes. . .
Slavery was not the only topic which Lloyd discussed with his new friend.
Cushing lent him books and urged him to undertake other challenging subjects.
Revolutions in South America, rebellions in Greece, uprisings in Verona and
Naples all seemed to forecast the eventual triumph of the people over the
forces of reaction and repression. Lloyd's investigation of the South American
revolts led him to denounce American foreign policy in ringing tones. If the
new republics could not rid themselves of the "dross of superstition and
tyranny" on their own, they must be taught to endorce justice and pay due
respect to the American flag. Coercion held the answer. "The only expedient to
command respect and protect our citizens will be to finish with cannon what
cannot be done in a conciliatory manner."(25)

William Lloyd Garrison had up to that point received a thorough indoctrination
in the Essex Junto theories of disunion; his teenage heroes were the royalist
leaders of the Hartford Convention. Garrison's "conservatism" now became
"radicalized" around three points stressed by Caleb Cushing:

• Negro slavery was evil, and was caused by the prejudices of white people;
• Latin American republics deserved to be destroyed if they were not more
respectful to foreigners;
• Revolution . . . overturn . . . violence are the answer to man's problems.

Historians have shown a strange lack of curiosity regarding the Cushing-
Garrison relationship: William Lloyd Garrison became the leader of the most
extreme and provocative elements of Abolitionism, while Caleb Cushing became
the main pro-slavery spokesman and strategist in the North.

Cushing's Commission from Lowell

In 1823 a Boston newspaper editor got up the gumption to call John Lowell
("The Rebel"), and his late father, traitors, and to suggest that it all
started when Judge John Lowell had run away to the British side during the
Revolution.(26) Caleb Cushing proposed to Lowell that he would write a
biography defending the Old Judge's reputation.(27)
Lowell responded to Cushing's proposition in a series of letters which,
remaining unpublished in the Library of Congress, bear silent testimony to the
shameless corruption in the motives of both men.
Lowell requested that Cushing write instead a full-scale defense of the Essex
Junto, that Cushing should portray them all as "patriots."(28)
Caleb Cushing accepted this assignment in fawning terms, as a "great
opportunity" for service, and promised to write a book exactly to Lowell's
specifications, and to turn it over to Lowell for his approval and any minor
changes he might make.

John Lowell now sent Cushing dozens of letters and turned over to him mounds
of legal papers and family documents. The method Cushing was to employ was put
bluntly: The source materials "are but food for your mind to be digested by
unknown processes and reproduced under new and more beautiful forms, as we see
the odious caterpillar reproduced with the most gorgeous and delightful color
and proportions."
Money and the total cooperation of the Lowell circle, "forever," was placed at
the disposal of Caleb Cushing. In one letter Lowell passed the torch to the
eager young man: "I accept you as my champion and that of my race."
Cushing never wrote more than a single chapter, in which he tried to justify
Judge Lowell's farewell address to the royal Governor Hutchinson. But in his
long and bizarre career as a "Mephistopheles" of American politics, Caleb
Cushing carried out his more profound commission from the Essex Junto: to
break up the American republic. We will follow him closely as we trace out the
buildup to the Insurrection of 1861.

1. Adams, John Quincy, A n Address Delivered at the Request of a Committee of
the Citizens of Washington: on the Occasion of the Reading of the Declaration
of Independence, on the Fourth of July, 1821, printed by Davis and Force,
Washington, D. C., 1821, p. 28.
2. ibid, pp. 21-22.
3. John Quincy Adams to Edward Everett, Jan. 31, 1822, Writings of John Quincy
Adams, ed. Worthington Chauncey Ford, Greenwood Press, New York, 1968, Vol
VII, pp. 197-201.
4. Perkins letterbook quoted in Briggs, Cabot Family, Vol. I, p. 391.
5. James Perkins' previous business is exemplified by his letter in July,
1786, to a Boston client of Perkins, Burling and Company: "agreeable to your
desire we have already made some advances in establishing such a place for the
disposition of Slaves in this quarter as will be attended with safety and
advantage to the proprietor."—quoted in Adams, Russell B. Jr., The Boston
Money Tree, Thomas Y. Crowell Co., New York, 1977, p. 47.
6. Crawford, Famous Families of Massachusetts, p. 201.
7. ibid., p. 202.
8. ibid., p. 201.
9. Briggs, Cabot Family, Vol. II, p. 558.
10. ibid., Vol. II, p. 558.
11. ibid., Vol. II, p. 558.
12. ibid., Vol. II, pp. 558-559.
13. ibid., Vol. II, p. 559.
14. ibid. Vol. II, p. 559.
15. ibid. Vol. II, p. 559.
16. ibid., Vol. II, p. 578. For Boston Brahmin opium traffickers see also
Adams, The Boston Money Tree, pp. 106-111, 125-131.
17. Barbara Higginson, daughter of Essex Junto member Stephen Higginson
sister-in-law of Essex Junto member Judge John Lowell, and aunt of the future
Civil War conspirator Thomas W. Higginson, married Samuel G. Perkins, brother
of Thomas Handasyd Perkins. The Higginsons supported the opium traffic with
their large banking and shipping resources.
"J. B. Higginson, an American merchant in Calcutta, wrote [Augustine] Heard in
January, 1834, that he had a large order from the Boston Perkinses for the
purchase of Bengal opium. In June, he sent to Russell & Company's consignment
some one hundred chests of Bengal drug by the British vessel Isabella
Robertson and, later, another 175 chests by the British opium clipper Falcon.
"—Stelle, Charles Clarkson, Americans and the China Opium Trade in the
Nineteenth Century, dissertation, University of Chicago, 1938, p. 57-58; this
is the most comprehensive piece ever written on the subject.
In 1826 a Perkins syndicate employee named Joseph Coolidge was sent to Bombay
to arrange for shipments to China of higher-grade Indian opium, to take the
place of the Turkish drug with which the syndicate had started doing business
(Adams, Boston Money Tree, p. 126-127). Joseph Coolidge married one of
President Thomas Jefferson's granddaughters (she was close friends with the
aged Swiss banker Albert Gallatin, who had been Jefferson's treacherous
Treasury Secretary). Their son, Thomas Jefferson Coolidge, once carried a
private message into Switzerland, where he went to school, for Albert
Gallatin.
On Dec. 6, 1839, China's opium-fighting Commissioner Lin Tse-hsu banned all
trade with Britain (Beeching, The Chinese Opium Wars, p. 104). The following
month, on January 1, 1840, Joseph Coolidge, with heavy personal contacts in
England and India, formed a new firm, Augustine Heard & Company. Coolidge's
company was given the agency to carry the China business of Jardine Matheson,
Britain's greatest criminal opium organization after the East India Company.
During the period that the Chinese successfully banned direct British trade,
the Jardine Matheson agency netted Coolidge's organization "much over
$10,000,000 a year" (Stelle, Americans end the China Opium Trade, p. 97-98).
Thus, the Boston Coolidges, originally part of the Boston syndicate, made
their way in the world as a branch of the murderous Jardine Matheson Co.
In 1899, Joseph's son Thomas Jefferson Coolidge, and grandson TJC II, founded
the United Fruit Company, using New Orlears-based Mafia muscle with Boston
syndicate money to set up plantations in tropical countries. In 1929 the
Coolidges merged their Old Colony Trust Company, an extension of their United
Fruit, with the First National Bank of Boston. The boards of the United Fruit
Company and the Bank of Boston were completely interlocked—they were the same
organization. The Bank of Boston had been founded in 1784 by John Lowell with
funds from the escaped British Tory faction in Britain. The bank had served as
the Boston syndicate's financial center since the founding; now, in the
"roaring 20's" (ex-President Calvin Coolidge was a distant relative), the
syndicate had emerged into the financial limelight in its own name (Thomas
Jefferson Coolidge III was Vice-President of the Bank of Boston and a director
until his death in 1959).
18. Remnants of these celebrations are displayed at the Peabody Museum, East
India Square, Salem, Massachusetts.
19. Greenslet, The Lowells, pp. 75-76.
20. Quoted in Chafee, Zechariah, Jr., "Theophilus Parsons," Dictionary of
American Biography.
21. Morison, Samuel Eliot, "The Great Rebellion in Harvard College, and the
Resignation of President Kirkland," Publications of the Colonial Society of
Massachusetts, Vol. XXVII, April, 1928, pp. 54-112.
22. Fuess, Claude M., The Life of Caleb Cushing, Harcourt, Brace and Company,
New York, 1923. Fuess's efforts to portray Cushing's boldly criminal
adventures as normal or even moral activities, make this one of the funniest
pieces of apologetic biography.
23. Cushing, Lemuel, The Genealogy of the Cushing Family, Lovell Printing and
Publishing Company, Montreal, 1877. Caleb Cushing and John Perkins Cushing had
approximately the same degree of blood relationship as did Theodore and
Franklin Delano Roosevelt; their great-great-grandfathers were brothers. But
their circle of acquaintances was extremely tight, and their own perception of
the value of family connections was overpowering. 24. Garrison's Tory family
origins are interesting: On the outbreak of the American Revolution, a vote
was held in a Nova Scotia town: all but Garrison's grandfather and a very few
others voted to join the American patriots. British troops soon marched in and
enforced loyalty to the crown by deporting American patriots and destroying
their houses. Garrison's Tory parents came to Massachusetts from the British
province of New Brunswick.
25. Thomas, John L., The Liberator: William Lloyd Garrison, a Biography,
Little, Brown and Company, Boston, 1963, p. 37.
26. The Independent Chronicle and Boston Patriot is named by Greenslet as the
source of the attack against Judge Lowell's loyalty; so as to prevent
researchers from easily viewing the probably interesting editorial Greenslet
mentions only the year, 1823, but no specific date for the issue. In the bound
volume of that year's issues of the newspaper in the Library of Congress, it
will be observed that the editor carried on a long campaign of exposure of the
treason by the Boston Brahmins, from their plot with Aaron Burr in the 1800
elections, through the secession attempts and sabotage during the war of 1812.
27. Cushing to-Lowell, Oct. 20, 1823, Cushing Papers, Library of Congress. 28.
Lowell to Cushing, Oct. 22, 1823, ibid.
--cont--
Aloha, He'Ping
Om, Shalom, Salaam.