This looks like a hoot!

Hilary

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Monday, January 18, 1999 11:47 AM
Subject: [InTheShadows] [Fwd: [IWAR] CIA Not Tickled By Jokes With
Intelligence]

>--
>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

CIA Not Tickled By Jokes With Intelligence

   He calls himself "America's Funniest Intelligence Officer," but the
   Central Intelligence Agency apparently is not laughing now that his Web
   site has exposed some of their alleged "oddballs."

   John Alejandro King says he's worked at the Company for 14 years
   "building data bases" and that he's always gotten high marks. But that
   was before he started poking fun at the CIA on the Internet.

   'The Covert Comic'

   Currently featured on King's site (www.covertcomic.com) is an essay
   titled "The Intelligence Underground: The Spookiest of the Spooks," by
   one "Jim Beetle." King tells us that "Beetle" is a fake name for another
   CIA officer, but that his roster of "highly unorthodox" employees is
   "all real."

   Among the spooks:

     * An analyst obsessed with UFOs.

     * An intelligence officer who, prior to being discreetly retired a few
       years back, sold his own porn videos on the side.

     * A female staffer who "keeps male sex slaves."

     * A Special Agent who believes he's the son of Jesus Christ and lays
       hands on the sick.

   "Beetle" asks: "Why haven't these kooks been fired for their bizarre
   activities? Perhaps, in the end, they will be. For the moment though,
   these and other crazies continue in their official duties as custodians
   of some of America's most sensitive information."

   King, whose site also includes "CIA jokes," says his own future at the
   agency remains cloudy.

   Although he insists he hasn't spilled any classified info, he says his
   bosses at Langley have told him him his site is "highly inappropriate."

   "They can't fire me, but they did it anyway," says King, adding that
   he's 40 years old and makes about $72,500. "I had to get an attorney to
   reinstate me. My attorney suggested I abandon the Web site. I don't want
   to. I don't see why I can't write satire and work in the intelligence
   community."

   The CIA's phone directory lists a John King, but an agency spokesman
   declined any sort of comment.

   King doesn't think he'll be "terminated with prejudice," as they say in
   his business. He does believe the agency may put "me into what I think
   they'll call Special Status. The Covert Comic is still hanging in there,
   but barely."