-Caveat Lector-

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 10:49:58 -0600
From: Neil Sapper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(Posted by Ray Stephens)

Friends, I was drawn into a cocktail conversation yesterday evening
about "the trial." As with all of the talking head shows on TV, I
listened to the usual litany about sex and non-impeachable offenses and
I made an ineffectual response. I still do not know where I come down on
this matter. However, sitting in my In Box here at home was a piece by
the New Left historian Howard Zinn, but I hadn't digested it and I was
unable to cite it as a rejoinder to the cocktail party expert on
impeachment. Further, last week, the venerable Gus Seligmann offered one
interpretation of the effort to convict and remove William Jefferson
Clinton as President of the United States on both H-Texas and H-Survey.
Unfortunately, I do not know the provenance of the Zinn statements.
Possibly they are the stuff of urban legend on the 'Net (Kurt Vonnegut's
"commencement speech"), but Zinn's observations (I think) are another
view of the Clinton presidential legacy. If a listmember can offer a
source or a correction to the attribution to Howard Zinn, that would be
a good thing. In the meantime, here is another take on President Clinton
that I have not seen elsewhere.

Neil Sapper
Amarillo College

_______________________________

Ten Real Reasons to Impeach Clinton
by Howard Zinn

We all seem to have lost our sense of proportion. Why are the political
leaders of the United States and the major media talking of impeaching
Bill Clinton for lies about sex, surely not the most important sins of
his administration?

If Clinton is to be impeached, why do it for frivolous reasons? I can
think of at least ten reasons to impeach him, for acts far more serious
than his dalliance with Monica Lewinsky or his lies to Kenneth Starr. I
am speaking of matters of life and death for large numbers of people.

1. Clinton approved, very early in his first administration, an armed
attack on the compound of a religious sect in Waco, Texas, under
circumstances which clearly did not warrant losing patience with
negotiations and choosing a military solution. As a result of the
attack, eighty-one people died, including men, women, and children.

2. Also in that first year in office, in June of 1993, he sent bombers
over Baghdad, claiming it was in response to a planned assassination of
former President George Bush, visiting the Middle East. The "evidence"
came from the notoriously corrupt Kuwaiti police. The U.S. claimed to be
aiming at "Intelligence Headquarters", but the bombs fell on a suburban
neighborhood in Baghdad. At least six people were killed, including a
prominent Iraqi artist and her husband.

3. While land mines strewn around the world continue to kill or cripple
thousands of people each year, and although fifteen retired generals
endorsed an immediate ban on all antipersonnel mines, the Clinton
Administration refused to go along with a Canadian proposal for such a
ban.

4. In Somalia, in June of 1993, with the country in a civil war, and
people desperate for food, Clinton ordered a military operation to
capture a popular Somali leader, General Adid. The result was a thousand
Somali casualties, soldiers and civilians, and a number of American
Rangers. On June 15, according to the Associated Press, a U.S.
helicopter fired a missile into a residential area of Mogadishu,
wounding 12 Somalis.  Ambassador to Somalia Robert Oakley later said the
military operation was "an unfortunate policy decision".

5. The Clinton Administration continued the embargoes on Cuba and Iraq,
causing widespread misery in Cuba for lack of food and medicine, and
hundreds of thousands of deaths in Iraq according to U.N. statistics.
When Secretary of State Madeleine Albright was asked if the goal of
putting pressure on Saddam Hussein was worth the lives of large numbers
of Iraqi children, she responded: "we think it is worth it."

6. Claiming that he was introducing "welfare reform", President Clinton in
the summer of 1996 signed a law to end the federal government's
guarantee, created under the New Deal, of financial help to poor
families with dependent children. The Los Angeles Times reported: "As
... families battle a new five-year limit on cash benefits...health
experts anticipate a resurgence of tuberculosis and sexually transmitted
diseases...."

7. The Clinton Administration continued to spend $250 billion a year for
the military, putting into jeopardy the lives and health of large
numbers of Americans. Clinton was willing to spend two billion dollars
each for the "stealth bomber" (the total cost would be 42 billion
dollars) while putting perhaps a million people in jeopardy by taking
away their federal benefits.

8. With millions of people either homeless or living under desperate
conditions and needing low-cost housing, the President in 1996 signed
the "Crime Bill", which allocated eight billion dollars to build new
prisons.

9. Early in his first term Clinton signed legislation cutting funds for
state resource centers that supplied lawyers to indigent prisoners. The
result, according to Bob Herbert writing in the New York Times was that
a man facing the death penalty in Georgia had to appear at a habeas
corpus proceeding without a lawyer.

10. More recently, this summer of 1998, Clinton, wanting to react to the
terrorist bombing of American embassies in Africa, bombed Afghanistan
and the Sudan. He claimed that the Sudanese target was a plant producing
nerve gas, but could not produce convincing evidence for this. Almost
immediately, it became clear that the plant, contrary to the American
claim, had been producing half the medicines used in Uganda. People
there would die as a result of that bombing.

I am not seriously proposing to impeach Clinton for these actions,
because they are not different in essence, from the policies of almost
all American presidents, especially since the second World War when the
United States became a military state. Both parties, Democratic and
Republican have gone along with such policies. I simply wanted to put
the cries for impeachment into a wider perspective, to restore a sense
of proportion to our indignation, and to throw light on matters far more
important than the president's sex life.

Howard Zinn is the author of "A People's History of the United States"
and Professor Emeritus at Boston University.

[END]