-Caveat Lector-

Moving toward a police state
by Joseph Farah
Jan. 26, 99

Executive orders ... national emergencies ... a domestic
"commander-in-chief" ... the threat of terrorism and weapons of mass
destruction. ....

An impeached president is leading America ever closer toward the
reality of a police state, and there's been hardly a peep from the
civil liberties establishment. In fact, those who dare address such
issues are quickly denounced as paranoid "extremists."

But let's look at the facts -- coldly, objectively and rationally.

President Clinton has declared more "states of national emergency"
than any of his predecessors. And he's done it in an era he boasts
about as the freest, most peaceful and most prosperous time in recent
American history.

President Clinton has issued more executive orders than any of his
predecessors. His top aides have even boasted of using them as a
political strategy to go over the heads of the legislative branch of
government. "Stroke of the pen, law of the land," boasted Paul Begala
of the plan. "Pretty cool, huh?" Few of the executive orders have even
been challenged by a Congress controlled by the opposition party. Few
of them have even been read by a sleeping press establishment.

And now President Clinton tells the nation that terrorism is such a
threat to America that we need to consider establishing a
"commander-in-chief for the defense of the continental United States."

But don't worry about the civil liberties implications of any of this,
the president tells us.

"If there's a question, bring it to me," he says, like any good
monarch would.

Sure, that will solve the problem. Clinton himself will be the arbiter
of whether his policies are an assault on our fundamental freedoms.
Sounds fair, huh?

Keep in mind, folks, that this is the same president who has:

used FBI files to attack his political enemies;

employed Internal Revenue Service audits to punish his critics;

at the moment of his highest triumph, his re-election as president in
1996, warned he would attack his adversaries ruthlessly and cut them
out of the body politick "like a cancer";

used at least one federal employee as a sex toy, using Marine officers
to chauffeur her to the White House, then wielded all the power at his
disposal to cover up the scandal through perjury and obstruction of
justice;

accepted illegal campaign contributions from powers hostile to the
United States and then offered them previously forbidden
high-technology transfers;

used taxpayer resources to malign the character of anyone who offered
a political challenge to his authority;

abused his power to step on and over anyone who got in his way;

I could go on and on. But you get the point. The kinds of powers under
discussion would be unacceptable in the hands of the most ethical,
honorable, virtuous leader, but in the hands of a man with no
character, a man whose only motivation is the accumulation and
preservation of his own authority, the mere discussion of such powers
should be anathema to every American.

Yet, I don't hear the outrage. I don't hear expressions of real
concern. I don't hear anyone warning of impending tyranny.

Let me, then, be the first.

America is not slouching toward totalitarianism, it is rushing
headlong toward it. It is disregarding more than 200 years of
historical lessons, the prophetic cautions of the geniuses who
invented this country. It is forgetting what made America great -- its
Constitution, its acceptance of freedom and responsibility and its
commitment to a morality etched in men's hearts from the beginning and
defined in words beginning with the Ten Commandments.

How can we then trust a man who treads on the Constitution, insults
the Founding Fathers, limits freedom daily with new initiatives
empowering government, encourages irrepsonsibility in others and
breaks nearly every one of the Ten Commandments with no credible
regrets or contritition?

Tell me, America: Are you ready to let Bill Clinton completely
redefine and rewrite the contract between the people and the
government? Are you willing to permit him to be the judge and jury of
that new covenant? Or, are you ready to trade in your liberty for a
promise of security from a man who is himself a proven coward, rogue
and ego-maniac?

Or, are you ready to open your eyes and see what this man is trying to
take from you, your children and grandchildren?

A daily radio broadcast adaptation of Joseph Farah's commentaries can
be heard at http://www.ktkz.com/

--------
"And so a lot of people say there's too much personal freedom.  When
personal freedom's being abused, you have to move to limit it."
-President Bill Clinton, 3-22-94, on MTV's "Enough is Enough"
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     The Patriot Resource Center:
                                 http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/6627/