Who's czarry now?

by columnist Rob Morse
San Francisco Examiner, Feb. 2, 1999

     America was settled by people escaping czars, kings and
other despots with armies at their disposal.  Nowadays the
czarist threat is strictly domestic.
     We already have a drug czar whose troops wage a continually
losing war against drugs, despite broad powers of search and
seizure.  Now we have a terrorism czar with secret armies already
in the field, and more to come.
     I don't know about you, but that terrifies me more than
terrorism does.
     Richard A. Clarke, appointed by President Clinton as the
government's counterterrorism coordinator, has a secretive
mentality, a desire to raise public fears and an $11 billion
annual budget to fight the threats Clinton says are under the
bed.
     That vast space beneath the national box spring has to be
filled, now that communism has crawled out and slouched away.
     Our terrorism czar not only wants to protect America from
chemical and biological attack, he wants to protect us from those
who attack business and governmental computer systems.
     "An attack on American cyberspace is an attack on the
United States, just as much as a landing on New Jersey," Clarke
told the New York Times.  "The notion that we could respond with
military force against a cyber-attack has to be accepted."
     What's he going to do? Launch cruise missiles at a rec room
where a couple of 14-year-old hackers are holed up?
      Clarke and the president see a cyber-threat coming from
the usual terrorist sources.  You know who I mean.
      "Why would anyone want to mount such an attack?"  said
the terrorism czar.  "To extort us. To intimidate us. To get us
to abandon our foreign policy - "Abandon Israel now!' "
     Abandon Israel, or they'll shut down a city's electricity,
mass transit and 911 systems.
     To threats like that, Clarke would put the Poseidon missiles
in launch mode off the coast of Libya, or the rogue nation du
jour.  Or maybe he'd take the Bruce Willis route and saddle up
the Delta Force for an operation against a radical Islamic
computer cabal in Jersey City.
     Do we want this man in charge of secret military operations
within the United States?  Do we want anyone?
     Clarke is the genius who overrode the State Department, the
CIA and the Joint Chiefs of Staff and got Clinton to launch
cruise missiles at training camps in Afghanistan and a medicine
factory in Sudan, in hopes of killing the alleged terrorist
mastermind Osama bin Laden.
     All he got was a night watchman and a few guerrilla trainees
whose comrades are now even madder at us.
     In 1986, Clarke hatched a plan to wage psychological warfare
against Libya's Moammar Gadhafi by having spy planes set off
sonic booms over his head.  Just for starters, you have to wonder
about a guy who feels it necessary to drive Gadhafi crazy.
     Still, Clinton has put Clarke in charge of military
room, I'd start pouring concrete for a bunker.
     Clinton may be a libertine, but he's no civil libertarian.
In his 1996 anti-terrorism bill, he restricted rights of habeas
corpus, which allow prisoners to challenge their imprisonment.
He has pushed for increased wiretapping powers for the FBI.
     That was before the Tripp tapes.  I wonder how he feels
about secret taping now.
     Clinton's new budget includes more than $1 billion to
improve computer security, and $250 million over six years to
fund 10 military SWAT teams to help civilian authorities respond
to terrorist attacks on our soil.
     Just what America needs - more SWAT teams, and military
ones, even though the military has traditionally been barred from
civilian police work.
     The federal teams, to be attached to the National Guard, are
meant to go to the scene of chemical or biological attacks and
help local authorities.  The teams are to be called Rapid
Assessment, Identification and Detection, or RAID, as in the
chemical warfare we wage on bugs.
     We're entering a new age of duck and cover, to use the
1950s phrase for defense against Soviet nuclear attack - namely,
getting under our desks.
     There's no ducking and covering from chemical and biological
weapons, as Clinton and Secretary of Defense William Cohen are so
eager to tell us.
     We live "in a grave new world," said Cohen, in a too-cute
play on words meant to convey the chemical, biological and
nuclear weapons which easily can be carried across borders.  Not
to mention cyber-threats that only take the movement of a mouse.
     Befitting an age of wide-screen Dolby disaster, Cohen says
we live under the threat of  "catastrophic terrorism."
     You'll hear that phrase often in coming months, and it bodes
ill for our rights.
     "We're going to have to reconcile how much we're willing to
give up in the way of our individual liberties in order to be
secure," said Cohen in a speech in December.
     We may be giving up far too much and not feeling secure at
all.