-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.aci.net/kalliste/
<A HREF="http://www.aci.net/kalliste/">The Home Page of J. Orlin Grabbe</A>
-----

Impeached POTUS

Blumenthal Busted by Fellow Journalist

Described Monica as a "stalker," then denied it under oath

A veteran British journalist and social friend of senior Clinton aide
Sidney Blumenthal has challenged Blumenthal's testimony that he had no
knowledge of any White House effort to paint Monica S. Lewinsky as a
"stalker."
In an affidavit signed Friday, Christopher Hitchens, who writes for
Vanity Fair and the Nation, said Blumenthal, at a lunch last March 19,
"used the word 'stalker' several times" in talking about Lewinsky.

At the lunch, also attended by Hitchens's wife, Carol Blue, Hitchens
said Blumenthal said Lewinsky "had been a 'stalker' and that the
President was 'the victim' of a predatory and unstable sexually
demanding young woman," according to the one-page affidavit. "Mr.
Blumenthal advised us that this version of the facts was not generally
understood" about President Clinton's relationship with Lewinsky.

Blumenthal had testified to the Senate that Clinton had mentioned the
word "stalker" in a conversation and felt himself a victim of Lewinsky's
advances.

A central allegation against Clinton in his impeachment trial is that he
had Blumenthal and others smear Lewinsky to undermine her credibility.
News media accounts disparaging Lewinsky sometimes cited White House
sources.

Blumenthal was asked in his Senate testimony whether he had "any idea
how White House sources are associated with statements such as . . .
'She's known as the Stalker.' Do you have any idea how that got in the
press?"

Blumenthal responded, "I have no idea how anything came to be attributed
to a White House source."

Yesterday, Blumenthal said in a statement: "My testimony to the Senate
was truthful. If someone is saying it's not, they are mistaken."

In the affidavit, Hitchens said he and Blumenthal "are social friends
and journalistic acquaintances" and that "I have knowledge that Mr.
Blumenthal recounted to other people in the journalistic community the
same story about Monica Lewinsky that he told me and Carol Blue."

One journalist who refused to be identified by name said last night that
he recalled in late spring hearing Blumenthal talk about Lewinsky being
troubled and Clinton having rebuffed her advances. But that journalist
said he had read much the same information months earlier.

Negative news accounts referring to Lewinsky's alleged obsession with
Clinton and with sex began appearing in the media several weeks before
Hitchens's lunch with Blumenthal. For example, a Jan. 29 article in The
Washington Post cited as sources Lewinsky's own friends and co-workers
and a former teacher from Portland, Ore., who had a five-year affair
with her.

Sources said House investigators, acting on a tip, called Hitchens to
ask about Blumenthal's statements and that Hitchens submitted the
affidavit.

Even without the Hitchens's affidavit, some Republican senators said
yesterday they believed Blumenthal was not telling the truth: "The great
irony of this is that he may be the other person who lied under oath and
he may have to do the time," said Sen. Larry E. Craig (R-Idaho).

The Washington Post, Feb. 7, 1999

Journalist Christopher Hitchens is claiming in a sworn affidavit that
Blumenthal described Monica Lewinsky as "a predatory and unstable
sexually demanding young woman" who stalked the president. According to
three sources, the Senate is in receipt of the affidavit, a copy of
which was obtained by Fox News Channel.

Hitchens said under oath that on March 19, 1998, he had lunch with
Sydney Blumenthal and another reporter at the Occidental restaurant in
Washington, D.C. At the meeting, the affidavit says, Blumenthal referred
repeatedly to Monica Lewinsky as a "stalker." Sources say the affidavit
makes it clear Blumenthal felt any journalist should consider the
Lewinsky scandal in that context.

This contradicts Blumenthal's Senate deposition Wednesday in which he
said he never passed on to reporters the president's comments to him, in
which he referred to Lewinsky as a stalker. "I have no idea how anything
came to be attributed to a White House source," he said in his
deposition.

"I never mentioned my conversation. I regarded that conversation as a
private conversation in confidence, and I didn't mention it to my
colleagues, I didn't mention it to my friends, I didn't mention it to my
family, besides my wife."

Hitchens' affidavit also quotes Blumenthal implying a plan to smear
Kathleen Willey, the former White House volunteer who claimed Clinton
had groped her. The affidavit says Blumenthal said Willey was highly
rated in public opinion polls, but said that would change when things
began to come out about her.

The British-born Hitchens, a longtime Beltway reporter, has been a
contributor to left-leaning publication The Nation since 1982 and also
writes for Internet magazine Salon, among other publications.

The affidavit has been turned over to Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott,
R-Miss., who has shared it with Minority leader Tom Daschle, D-S.D., as
well as other Republicans. Two senators who attended Blumenthal's video
deposition for the impeachment trial, Sen Arlen Specter, R-Pa., and Sen
John Edwards, D-N.C., are particularly angry, sources say.

The Senate, which technically conducted the deposition, is mulling what
to do next, sources say. The Senate voted Thursday not to allow any more
evidence into the trial, but the House managers who asked the questions
are apparently considering making a referral to Justice Department.

Sources point out that while this revelation will not likely alter any
impeachment trial votes, it does have relevance to the trial and should
not be dismissed as limited to Blumenthal. They say the comments about
Lewinsky and Willey illustrate a White House pattern to discredit a
civilian and thereby obstruct justice.

Fox News, Feb. 6, 1999
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,