-Caveat Lector-

In a large society with writing and institutionalized science, the cost of
an exponential  number of' tests is repaid by the benefit of the resulting
laws to a large number of people. That is why taxpayers are willing to fund
scientific research. But for the provincial interests of a single individual
or even a small band, good science isn't worth the trouble.

        A third reason we are so-so scientists is that our brains were
shaped
for fitness, not for truth. Sometimes the truth is adaptive, but sometimes
it is not. Conflicts of interest are inherent to the human, and we are apt
to want our version of the truth, rather than the truth itself, to prevail.

        For example, in all societies. expertise is distributed unevenly.
Our mental apparatus, is designed to work in a society in which we can
consult an expert when we have to. The philosopher Hilary Putnam con-fesses
that, like most people, he has no idea how an elm differs from a beech. But
the words aren't synonyms for him or for us; we all know that they refer to
different kinds of trees, and that there are experts out there who could
tell us which is which if we ever had to know. Experts are invaluable and
are usually rewarded in esteem and wealth. But our reliance on experts puts
temptation in their path. The experts can allude to a world of
wonders-occult forces, angry gods, magical potions-that is inscrutable to
mere mortals but reachable through their services. Tribal shamans are
flim-flam artists who supplement their considerable practical knowledge with
stage magic, drug-induced trances, and other cheap tricks. Like the wizard
of Oz, they have to keep their beseechers from looking at the man behind the
curtain, and that conflicts with the disinterested search for the truth.

        In a complex society, a dependence on experts leaves us even more
vulnerable to quacks, from carnival snake-oil salesman to the mandarins who
advise governments to adopt programs implemented by mandarins. Modern
scientific practices like peer review, competitive funding, and open mutual
criticism are meant to minimize scientists' conflicts of interest in
principle, and sometimes do so in practice. The stultification of good
science by nervous authorities in closed societies is a familiar theme in
history, from Catholic southern Europe after Galileo to the Soviet Union in
the twentieth century.
(that is why Mr C Brand was sacked for being politically incorrect)

        It is not only science that can suffer under the thumb of those in
power. The anthropologist, Donald Brown, was puzzled to learn that over the
millennia the Hindus of India produced virtually no histories, Whilst the
neighboring Chinese had produced libraries full. He suspected that the
potentates of a heredity caste society realized that no good could come from
a scholar nosing around in records of the past where he might

stumble upon evidence undermining their claims to have descended from
heroes and gods. Brown looked at twenty-five civilizations and compared the
ones organized by hereditary castes with the others. None of the caste
societies had developed a tradition of writing accurate depictions of the
past; instead of history they had myth and legend. The caste societies were
also distinguished by an absence of political science, social science,
natural science, biography, realistic portraiture, and uniform education.