-Caveat Lector-

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Edward Britton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>(actually, I just forwarded the post from someone whom I trusted as being
>somewhat reliable), I issued the originator of this thread on the slim
>chance that there may have been something to it. Generally, I post such
>"provocative" information in the hopes that potential readers will be
>able to discern fact from fiction.

Which is totally OT for this list...

And still does not change the fact that you are spamming disinfo under the
guise of 'truth'...if you TRULY doubted it's validity, you should have
clearly labeled it as such...preceded it with something like "Hey, I just
got this in from what I feel is a reliable source, can anyone confirm or
deny this info?"...

No, you sent it out only with a statement preceding the anecdotes claiming
it came from a 'reliable' source, thereby implying validity...

>I see no such standard applied to the posters
>of other conspiratorial threads on subjects referring, say, to federal
>concentration camps :-)

Federal concentration camps fall under the umbrella designation of
'conspiracy research'...supposed needles left in supposed movie theater
seats does not...

>That said, I find it interesting that June, my harshest critic on this
>matter, made no mention of the fact that I just as eagerly disseminated a
>retraction of the thread--as a hoax--in the form of another forewarded
>post entitled: "SR News: The Aids Needle Hoaxes."

Only after it was roundly pointed out by myself and others that it was a
hoax, including my post with the URLs which document it as a hoax...only
THEN did you post your retraction...

Not only is spamming such stuff a breach of 'netiquette', it gives serious
researchers into such things as 'conspiracy theories' a bad name to be
associated with deseminating such obvious hoaxes...if one can't take the
time to make sure of the validity of such stories as the HIV needles, the
organ harvesting, the free trip to Disney, the any number of 'Good Times'
viruses, the flashing-headlight-gang-initiation, and other internet
hoaxes/urban legends, how can one's assertion on any OTHER subject be
taken seriously?

June

         "To love another person is to see the face of God."

                            -Les Miserables
*-----------------------------------------------------------------------*
                        revcoal AT connix DOT com
 It is UNLAWFUL to send unsolicited commercial email to this email
 address per United States Code Title 47 Sec. 227.  I assess a fee of
 $500.00 US currency for reading and deleting such unsolicited commercial
 email.  Sending such email to this address denotes acceptance of these
 terms.  My posting messages to Usenet neither grants consent to receive
 unsolicited commercial email nor is intended to solicit commercial
 email.