-Caveat Lector-

PHNOM PENH (February 11, 1999 12:14 a.m. EST http://www.nandotimes.com) -
Police in the Cambodian capital said Thursday they suspect a young woman, some
of whose body parts were found at a city rubbish dump, may have been killed by
a cannibal and made into soup.

Scavengers at the dump found a pair of feet and some bones wrapped in plastic
while picking through rubbish on Wednesday.

Police said they found a lung, some hair, two feet, a leg bone and three ribs.
The bones had knife marks on them.

"If it was just a killing why do they need to cut the flesh from the body,"
senior criminal investigator, Ek Kreth, told Reuters.

"We're investigating the possibility she might have been killed for making
soup," Ek Kreth said. He did not elaborate.

Another police investigator said it had not yet been determined if the dead
girl was Cambodian or foreign.

"We're not sure whether she was foreign or Cambodian as we found some reddish
hair along with the bones," said the chief of the police autopsy department,
Prach Nhat.

Ek Kreth said it was believed the rubbish containing the body parts was
collected from a neighborhood in central Phnom Penh.

"I've never seen anything like it since I became a policeman more than 20
years ago," Ek Kreth said.

<Picture: We mine the net so you don't have to.>
We mine the net so you don't have to.

Global | Nation | Sports | Politics | Opinions | Business | Techserver |
Health & Science | Entertainment | Weather | Baseball | Basketball | Football
| Hockey | Sport Server | MAIN
Copyright © 1999 Nando Media
Do you have some feedback for the Nando Times staff?