from:
http://www.newaus.com.au/peter.html
<A HREF="http://www.newaus.com.au/peter.html">The New Australian's China and
Asia Report</A>
-----
Clinton: Beijing's man in Washington

The New Australian
No. 111,  15-21 March 1999
Why anyone should be surprised at discovering what is common knowledge
in China's intellectual and political circles still evidently puzzles
some American commentators. Nearly nine months a go I pointed that among
certain government and military officials Clinton is contemptuously
referred to as "nanren men zai hua sheng dun" (our man in Washington). I
think I should stress contempt. I do not believe Beijing has ever held
any Western leader in such low esteem. The damage this thoroughly
corrupt and venal man has done to America's reputation among the Chinese
people is incalculable. Not only that, but his cowardice and vacillation
has greatly strengthened the hands of military nationalists at the
expense of those who prefer a more open policy with the West. The result
has been rising tension as Beijing virtually annexes the Spratley
Islands, sure in the knowledge that, unlike Truman, Eisenhower or
Reagan, Clinton lacks the courage to act. This will not go unnoticed
among Asian governments. As far as they are concerned, there is no
American president.

I shall now repeat what I wrote at the beginning of February: "There is
no doubt that Clinton allowed military technology to be sold to the PLA
for campaign funds." And this is in China, not Washington or New York.
Any Western journalist could have picked this up if they had bothered to
look. Now I see Democrats, much to the amusement of certain Chinese
officials, blaming the Reagan administration for sensitive technology
'transfers.' Let me make something absolutely clear. No such transfers
occurred under Reagan or any other Republican administration. Any
Democrat or journalist who states otherwise is a liar. China has run a
sophisticated spying operation in the US for many years and money was
literally no object. Whatever was demanded was supplied. Under Clinton,
however, the situation radically changed. Instead of having to steal
technology, as they did under Reagan, they simply bribed Clinton into
transferring it to them. And I mean bribe. For once operations did not
have to be conducted through the Central External Liaison Department or
the Central Control of Intelligence but directly through government
officials, including intelligence and PLA officers, who visited the
White House. This would have been like Reagan opening up the Oval Office
to the KGB. The deal was simple — money for technology.

Even better was the arrangement by which American corporations directly
assisted Beijing to upgrade its weapons systems — for a price. The likes
of William Hambrecht and Bernard Schwartz, well-known heavy contributors
to the Democratic Party, have also benefited handsomely from
arrangements with the PLA, as have a great many other big shot
executives who seem to prefer the colour green to red, white and blue.
What would get you the death penalty in Asia could buy you a New York
estate in the US. What the activities of these greedy executives might
eventually cost their fellow American citizens is something that only
time will tell. Directly or indirectly Chinese money was funnelled into
the Democratic machine.

What sweet irony for Beijing. The party of containment had become the
party of collaborators, with members actively sabotaging investigations
into the Chinese intelligence connection. The rot is so deep that even
John Glenn, along with Tom Daschle, deliberately crippled the Thompson
hearings into the scandal, or should I say treason. After all, it might
have revealed which Senators and members of Congress desperately tried
to get their share of the loot. This brings us to why the Clinton White
House ignored briefings that Chinese intelligence was running a number
of spy operations at weapons laboratories. Simple: it did not really
care because it already knew. A subsidiary reason is that Clinton and a
number of other collaborators were now hopelessly compromised in any
case. No wonder Chinese officials privately express nothing but contempt
for these Quislings, what we Chinese call pan tu (traitor).

Now don't misunderstand me. Just because Clinton and his buddies gave
China a free ride don't think it let up on other intelligence
activities, far from it, something that the Los Alamos National
Laboratory scandal has made perfectly clear. Only time will tell how
many other intelligence scandals are brewing and whether they will ever
see the light of day. I suspect there will be a lot of document
shredding during the rest of Clinton's term, not to mention hush money.
The Clinton administration's collaboration with Chinese intelligence
allowed it to allocate even more funds to its American operations. How
many agents it has managed to place because of the Clintons' greed and
indifference to the national welfare is known only to the highest
Chinese officials as is the number of American officials that have been
bought or compromised. The damage to American national security is very
deep and longstanding.

Rest assured, anything that would give China's military an advantage
over the US is also bad for the Chinese people. If I thought otherwise I
would not have written this. For example, Beijing was able to laugh at
Secretary of State Madeleine Albright's mild comments about Beijing's
treatment of dissidents. Why did Beijing correctly think that Albright's
trip would come to nothing, despite the State Department's Country
Report on Human Rights Practices for 1998 which spoke harshly of China?
How did it know that Congress and the White House would do nothing? How
many taped conversations, for example, are sitting in Beijing government
safes? Clinton had his FBI files but many believe Beijing has something
much better. Without a doubt, its money was well spent.

Whether the intelligence connection with Clinton goes back to the 1970s
in any meaningful way is very unclear at the moment, and will probably
remain so. But Chinese intelligence is always on the look out for a
potential pan tu who might rise to an influential position and I would
suggest that Clinton has it written all over him. The question now is
how many more are there?

Editor: It will come as no surprise to our American readers to learn
that Australia's Clinton-loving journalists also buried the Chinese spy
scandal. So if you think your media is corrupt, you should try to take a
look at ours.
=====
from:
http://www.newaus.com.au/asia105clinton.html

Is Clinton the Manchurian clone?

By Zhang's Column
No. 105,  1-7 February 1999
Many readers have asked whether there is more to Chinese officials
calling Clinton "nanren men zai hua sheng dun" (our man in Washington)*
than just mandarin-like smugness. Surely, they wonder, there is
something more sinister afoot. Yes, is the answer, but not in the way
they have construed it. What is not generally understood is that
Beijing's 'control' over Clinton has been exercised by exploiting his
venality, arrogance, intellectual vanity and immoral nature. As keen
students of history (I do not mean that dialectical nonsense) with an
unbroken cultural tradition extending back several thousand years, they
have become astute judges of character. (An invaluable faculty in an
environment where only the ruthless rise to the top and where an
erroneous character assessment has been known to prove fatal).

This is why Clinton's secret meeting with high-ranking PLA officers have
gone so well for Beijing. Unlike Clinton and, to put it bluntly, his
policy hacks Chinese officials have cultural continuity, a fierce
nationalist pride and a sense and feel for history. For them, there is
no short-term gratification; each move, tactic and manoevre is designed
to promote the long term interest of the Middle Kingdom.** These people
have only justifiable contempt for the Clinton administration's
student-sixties view of the world. A view that could have dire
consequences for the West if it is not dealt with. I have no doubt it
will come as a surprise to Clinton's supporters to learn that Beijing
officials have the greatest respect for Harry Truman. Here was a man who
stood up for America, valued its traditions, never mocked its history or
achievements and had no illusions about its enemies, recognising their
true nature.

The danger does not come from communism, which is truly dead in China,
it comes from crude nationalism: the kind that fuelled Nazi Germany and
motivated the Japanese military. Just as the economic mismanagement and
political incompetence created conditions for the rise of Naziism, so a
similar chain of events might arise in China. None of this is understood
in the kindergarten that was once called the Oval Office. Instead of
standing fast with China's reformers, offering them unstinting support,
making clear there would be no truck with warlords, Clinton chose to
abandon them.

There is no doubt that Clinton allowed military technology to be sold to
the PLA for campaign funds and other 'measures'. Not a soul in Beijing
questions this view. Even some within the PLA were shocked at the
willingness of the Clinton political machine to put at risk the very
survival of its country. But perhaps what caused them the greatest shock
(though a pleasant one) was that Clinton, his advisers and business
supporters were incapable of understanding the nature of their offence.
It was literally beyond their understanding. Disconnected from any moral
moorings and totally alienated from the traditions and history of their
own country, they were adrift in a cultural vacuum. No wonder Chinese
officials could not believe their luck.

However, these officials are not fools. They know just how rapidly the
American mood can swing, something the Korean War taught them. But they
also recognise that there exists in America a very strong isolationist
undercurrent that runs in tandem with an even stronger tradition of
patriotism. The trick is to stroke the former without provoking the
latter. In this respect they have been remarkably lucky in the person of
William Jefferson Clinton, the most narcissistic, pliable and corrupt
president in the history of the United States. By occasionally rattling
the sabre at Sadam while simultaneously gutting America's military
machine he has not only diverted attention from events in China he has
also weakened America's ability to deal with an aggressive Chinese m
ilitary dictatorship should one emerge.

I firmly believe it is only because the American media is dominated by
the dregs of the sixties and seventies that Clinton has been allowed to
escape the just consequences of his destructive behaviour. What
depresses me, and so many informed Chinese, is that the American public
is yet to see through man; to realise the mortal danger he may very well
have placed it. Do not get me wrong. I am not suggesting for a moment
that PLA generals are planning a first strike. What could happen is that
some of them might mistake Clinton's cowardice and moral degeneracy as
representative of the nation and act on the assumption that aggression
does indeed have its own rewards, just as Japan did in the 1930s.
Remember that Hitler was absolutely convinced that Britain was so weak
morally and militarily that it would never fight. The rest, as they say,
is history.

In the final scene of the The Manchurian Candidate the brainwashed
victim, who has broken free of his controler, assassinates his mother
and stepfather who were at the centre of a plot to murder the president
and take control of the country. Unfortunately Clinton is so thoroughly
corrupt that there is absolutely nothing he can do to redeem himself. He
is not a victim of circumstances. He is not a victim of his instincts.
He is a dangerous self-absorbed brat with no concern for anyone or
anything, possessing only a pathological need to satisfy his own desires
 regardless of the cost to others. The sooner the Clinton presidency and
everyone and everything connected with it has been exorcised from
America the safer the world will be.

I guess at heart I am an optimist. The Chinese people do not want war —
they want a prosperous peace. America should do everything in its power
to help bring that about. Doing dirty backroom deals the the butchers of
Tianamen Square is not the way to do it.

Perhaps now readers will understand why Clinton is called "nanren men
zai hua sheng dun" (our man in Washington) as well as hou yan wu chi.

*Clinton's China visit: appeasement or engagement?

**This is not to say they will not line their own pocket should the
opportunty present itself, only that they would not sell their country.
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.
Em Hotep, Peace Be,