Date forwarded:         Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:58:11 -0700
Date sent:              Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:57:59 -0800 (PST)
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From:                   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vin Suprynowicz)
Subject:                March 28 column -- marijuana authors
Forwarded by:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    FROM MOUNTAIN MEDIA
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE DATED MARCH 28, 1999
    THE LIBERTARIAN, By Vin Suprynowicz
    Condemning dissident authors to death

    A well-meaning soul recently asked me, "Vin, why do you have to focus
on the loss a few minor rights? This is still the freest nation on earth.
Look at your own writings. In what other country would you be allowed to
write these things with no fear of repercussions?"

  I imagine Peter McWilliams may have briefly shared that thought in 1993
when Prelude Press brought out his 800-page opus, "Ain't Nobody's Business
If You Do: The Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in a Free Society." Ditto
Steve Kubby when Loompanics of Port Townsend, Washington published his "The
Politics of Consciousness" in 1995.

  Both authors are survivors (so far) of often-fatal diseases, who
attribute their survival to the therapeutic use of marijuana.

  The Associated Press reported on March 20: "Steve Kubby ... has a Feb. 4
letter from Dr. Vincent DeQuattro, a professor of medicine at the
University of Southern California, stating that Kubby still has a
malignancy, for which the marijuana 'in some amazing fashion ... has not
only controlled the symptoms ... but in my view has arrested the growth.' "

  Mr. Kubby attracted further official attention to his anti-Drug-War
beliefs when he ran for governor of California on the Libertarian Party
ticket last year. Both writers were proved prescient when California voters
decided in 1996 to legalize the many medical uses of marijuana by a
whopping 70-to-30 margin. And that should have been the end of that.

  Except that the kind of morally atrophied weasels who run our current War
on Drugs have made a big mistake since the recent legalization votes in
California, Nevada and Arizona. They have allowed two of the most cynical
lies of modern politics -- that the government only enforces the will of
the majority, and that if you want the law changed all you have to do is
convince a majority to side with you at the polls -- to be revealed as just
that: two of the biggest steaming piles of diarrheal mendacity that ever
brought tears to the eyes and bile to the throats of a free people.

  McWilliams was busted and imprisoned last July. Late last year, drug
agents stormed the Olympic Valley house of Mr. Kubby and his wife Michele,
after weeks of surveilling the married couple through their bedroom window
-- dragging them away in chains for growing a few hundred marijuana plants
for medical use, two years (start ital)after(end ital) the people of
California legalized medical marijuana.

  Both men had doctors' recommendations. The Fearless Drug Warriors'
excuse? They were growing "too many" plants.

  (I once worked briefly for the publisher of a weekly newspaper who was
convinced the photography staff was embezzling film -- he counted no more
than 36 photos in each weekly issue, yet the photographer used (start
iutal)several (end ital) 36-shot rolls of film each week. In vain we tried
to explain to him that a photographer can burn through several rolls trying
to get just one usable sports photo. Similarly, the California narco
toadies seem to believe that in horticulture, to produce 30 or 40 mature
plants it is only necessary to germinate 30 or 40 seeds.)

  Anyway, I'm sure the arrests and subsequent medical torture (by depriving
them of the only medicine doctors say can keep them alive) of these two
authors won't have too great a "chilling effect" on the future willingness
of others to challenge the government's wisdom, do you think?

   Author McWilliams wrote to California state Attorney General William
Lockyer on March 18: "Since my dual diagnosis (of AIDS and cancer) in March
1996, I have used medical marijuana under the guidance and supervision of
three California physicians to fight the nausea caused by the prescription
anti-AIDS and anti-cancer medications I must take.

  "If I cannot keep down my life-saving medications, I will die. Medical
marijuana, in my case, had been 99.9 percent effective in alleviating
nausea for more than two years. ... Because I cannot keep down my
prescription medications without medical marijuana forbidden me by my bail
release my viral load has risen dramatically, from undetectable (under 40)
to more than 250,000. AIDS doctors become concerned when the viral load
tops 10,000. ... (Please see the letter from my AIDS physician, Daniel
Bowers, M.D. at http://www.petertrial.com/doc1.jpg.)"

  Last week, the court ruled that if McWilliams dies before his trial due
to the fact he is forbidden marijuana in the meantime, that's just too bad.

  Steve Kubby and his wife have been bankrupted -- the magazine business
they ran out of their home destroyed when arresting drug goons refused to
return their computer. Mr. Kubby wrote on March 22:

   "Our raid, our bankruptcy and the refusal of the prosecutors or judges
to return any of our most basic tools and possessions shows how Drug War
laws are increasingly used against ordinary citizens.  Law authorizing such
unconstitutional searches and seizures were intended originally to be used
only against 'drug kingpins.' Today these draconian laws are used as
standard procedure to destroy the lives of anyone caught with marijuana,
even sick and dying people, all to uphold a corrupt and failed federal drug
policy."

Vin Suprynowicz is the assistant editorial page editor of the Las Vegas
Review-Journal. His new book, "Send in the Waco Killers: Essays on the
Freedom Movement, 1993-1998," is available at $21.95 plus $3 shipping ($6
UPS; $2 shipping each additional copy) through Mountain Media, P.O. Box
4422, Las Vegas, Nev. 89127-4422. The 500-page trade paperback may also be
ordered via web site http://www.thespiritof76.com/wacokillers.html, or at
1-800-244-2224.

***

Vin Suprynowicz,   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it. -- John
Hay, 1872

The most difficult struggle of all is the one within ourselves. Let us not
get accustomed and adjusted to these conditions. The one who adjusts ceases
to discriminate between good and evil.  He becomes a slave in body and
soul. Whatever may happen to you, remember always: Don't adjust! Revolt
against the reality! -- Mordechai Anielewicz, Warsaw, 1943

* * *

Steve Wingate

California Director
SKYWATCH INTERNATIONAL